Look who crawled out of his bilge! :crossx:

MAXIMUS
    Look who crawled out of his bilge! :crossx:
    :notam:

Havasu47
    :notam:
    Max got your tongue???

Paul128a
    Mercruiser did offer a 370hp Alpha one, but using a Small-Block, 377 cubic inches. I think they called it the Scorpion.
    Mercruiser says that the Alpha will handle high horsepower SMALL BLOCKS, as they dont have as much low-rpm torque.
    The more horsepower you try to make out of a Small-block, the higher the RPM the torque comes out, so the less the out-drive is prone to failure. As Mercruiser says, it is the torque the destroys the outdrives, not the HP.
    I have snapped two Volvo 280 mainshafts, and all during hard acceleration from standing start, using my 350 small block, bored .030 over, using TRW flat top pistons, 2.02 in 1.60 ex valves, roller rocker arms, Crower 00904 Torque-Beast cam, Headers, Performer intake, Holley 650.
    Right now I have been running an Alpha One with the same engine and so far so good.

Moparpower
    thanks for the info. yea I think I'm just gonna try the sbc with the alfa and if it goes i put in the bravo.

OCMerrill
    I am pushing an estimated 350+ HP through my Alpha. I took a std 1991 Merc Mag 350 (factory rated at 245 HP) and added Alum heads, cam, intake, carb, Msd Marine ign, etc.
    I do idle a little higher and gear changes bang a little bit. So far so good.
    Speed went from 55 mph to just a smack over 70. Two years now.

Speed955
    I am pushing an estimated 350+ HP through my Alpha. I took a std 1991 Merc Mag 350 (factory rated at 245 HP) and added Alum heads, cam, intake, carb, Msd Marine ign, etc.
    I do idle a little higher and gear changes bang a little bit. So far so good.
    Speed went from 55 mph to just a smack over 70. Two years now.
    OCMerrill,
    what prop are you using to get that 70+?

Mr. V-Driver
    thanks for the info. yea I think I'm just gonna try the sbc with the alfa and if it goes i put in the bravo.
    Did ya try Teague Marine 661-295-7000. They have a package that will handle all kinds of hp and torque. They have awesome shafts Vertical and prop. and all kinds of new innerds that should give ya what you're looking for!
    I guess you could call it a rebuild kit for more performance!
    Good luck with project!!!

Coryj
    I have a 89 205 elite how much hp can i put to the out drive I have a sbc
    I would use the drive conservatively until it breaks. I've heard of over 600HP through that drive IF YOU'RE CAREFULL!!!! Just my $.02 worth. means about as much too.
    Coryj

Ryan00TJ
    I've gone through 1 set of upper gears in my Alpha. This was with a relatively stock Mercruiser 260 but with a NOS 150 Wet Shot. Third time I sprayed it let go. The instant shock of the nitrous was too much for the gears IMO. My current Alpha has been running strong since 1992 with a very stout setup. My previous 355ci Solid lifter revved to 6500rpms and 76mph with a 21P cleaver. Motor probably made well over 400 horsepower. Current motor is more conservative but still runs 68-70 spinning a 23P 5500rpms.
    I know quite a few guys at the local lake that have ran Alpha's with 406's.
    3 keys to keeping the Alpha healthy......
    1. NEVER do any full throttle romps from a dead stop
    2. If you come out of the water At WOT get out of the gas immediately! The prop hitting the water under WOT will strip the gears pretty quick.
    3. After WOT runs ease the throttle back and let the rpms drop slowly, never pull back fast and shock load the gears.
    Mercruiser does make a heavy duty upper gear set for the Alpha. FYI

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast