Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: small outboard ?

drudog
    new to the site but need a little help. just bought a 11ft eliminator pickle fork with a 30hp yammie. my question is what are some mods i can do to get more speed? the boat does 35mph with a junky aluminum 9 3/4 x 13 prop . tach does not work yet so don't know rpms thanks

Tom Brown
    One mod quite a few guys have done with pretty decent success is remove the engine from the transom and replace it with a larger engine.

YeLLowBoaT
    my grand father has a 30 hp( its a comercial motor... I yanked the restricter plate and it makes closer to 50 now...) "big foot" oil injected merc with only about a 100 hours or so.

HavasuDreamin'
    Stainless Steel prop.

drudog
    what i'm looking for is 60mph , but wondering if i'm just dreaming

cityslave906
    try this site
    http://www.boatracingfacts.com/
    they are more knowlegable on the small outboards
    good luck

H2oracer
    Tom Brown is right. I race stock outboards. We use 33hp racing outboards from Japan and our speeds are in the sixties but these are not practicle motors for every day use.The only fishing motor that might work is a tahautsu or nissan and you can get racing props for these, but they are not cheap. Guessing maybe $600 to $800 for a good prop.

HavasuDreamin'
    An SST 45 motor might get you where you want to be although I am not sure that hull was ever designed or built to run that fast. If you want to run quick in a small light tunnel, you should check out the classified section in the forums here (http://www.screamandfly.com) . Periodically, you will find a complete SST 45 set-up.

Ike
    I know this is going to sound a bit absurd on ***boat but you want to go 60 in an 11 ft boat? Have you ever gone that fast in a boat that size? I have. Yamaha has a PWC that will do 65. I have run them and frankly it scared me shi....ss. A bigger boat sure. Triple digits in 40 footer, OK, but 60 in an 11 foot boat? Thats like doing 100 in a go-cart. Are you sure you want to do this? It will surely void any insurance you might have. Maybe some of you racers that have run little hydros can talk to him.
    If you really want to do this, go for it.

T-56
    I know this is going to sound a bit absurd on ***boat but you want to go 60 in an 11 ft boat? Have you ever gone that fast in a boat that size? I have. Yamaha has a PWC that will do 65. I have run them and frankly it scared me shi....ss. A bigger boat sure. Triple digits in 40 footer, OK, but 60 in an 11 foot boat? Thats like doing 100 in a go-cart. Are you sure you want to do this? It will surely void any insurance you might have. Maybe some of you racers that have run little hydros can talk to him.
    If you really want to do this, go for it.
    I must regetably aggree w/ Ike. I've been 62 (GPS) in a 14 foot Glassmaster. Sure it's alot of fun but in no way is it safe.
    "We" are nnot picking on your boat, we are just saying that 60 in an 11 foot boat is Haulin' Azz.
    Just my $0.02...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast