Thread: 460 speculations...

My friend just bought a complete boat for parts and the 460 managed to kick a rod out of the oil pan . Is it safe to say the motor is trash or should we take in to get checked out . Dont know a lick about fords or how much damage they can take or wont .
    -beerjet-

YeLLowBoaT
    Pull the motor and then take off the pan. That should tell you all you need to know.

What do I need to see to determine that the block or heads are not worth taking to a machine shop.
    -beerjet-

YeLLowBoaT
    If the block is chewed up its most likly not worth it. heads could still be fine.
    Post a pic with the pan off.
    Trust me you will know right away if its worth it or not.

I'll get those up ASAP. Pretty good sized hole in the side of the pan though .

SmokinLowriderSS
    If it threw the rod, you can pretty safely write off the rod ............ oh, and likely the crank too. The block just depends on where/which way/how many pices tried to leave.
    A buddy of mine bought a blown-up 460. On inspection, we found out why. one of the rod nuts was apparently improperly torqued, and unscrewed itself. When the engine finally shut off, the rod was in 3 pieces, 1 of which was in the bilge of the boat (very nicely "S" shaped), the side of the rod woth the good bolt still in had been broken off top & bottom and played pinball with the crank above the shallow end of the pan, putting 3 holes in the block. Oh, the pan looked like a shotgun had hit it, 30 or more holes plus the big one the rod-end made on it's way out (right at the pan gasket edgs (hole #3).
    Oh yea, scrap the pan too. Besides, if it's in a jet-boat, get a rear sump or flat "all-sumP" with rear pick-up pan.

Check it closely, I've seen rods break and little damage is done to the block or crank. You might find that all you need is another rod/piston, some minor block work and turn the crank. 460s are getting expensive and sometimes hard to find, esp. when you need one.

My friend just bought a complete boat for parts and the 460 managed to kick a rod out of the oil pan . Is it safe to say the motor is trash or should we take in to get checked out . Dont know a lick about fords or how much damage they can take or wont .
    -beerjet-
    ck out LakesOnly's thread in the SPAM forum...he has alot of 429/460 parts for sale at "really" good prices!...just trying to help
    fastrat