Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granite counters in IE...DILLIGAF ?....

AirtimeLavey
    Anyone know a good company for granite kitchen counters? DILLIGAF, didn't you say you had fam or friends w/new start up. I did a search of threads, and didn't find much. Any help is appreciated.
    Btw, GO LAKERS!!! :rollside:

AirtimeLavey
    For what it is worth who ever you get to do your granite make sure that they put in reinforcing rods at the sink openings for extra strength. Most installers do not do this part of the job and most homeowners don't know about it either.
    Just my two centsssss
    Steve

cola
    AirtimeLavey
    For what it is worth who ever you get to do your granite make sure that they put in reinforcing rods at the sink openings for extra strength. Most installers do not do this part of the job and most homeowners don't know about it either.
    Just my two centsssss
    Steve
    Why would you need the rods if you put it on a hard deck, 3/4" plywood.

AirtimeLavey
    Yes she and her husband do. Send me your phone number via PM and I will have her contact you. Thanks
    Sent....thanks.

AirtimeLavey
    AirtimeLavey
    Just my two centsssss
    Steve
    Thanks for the advice, but I haven't heard of that, either. Like Cola said, I would've thought the plywood underlayment would do the trick. I'll address it w/the installers - thanks. :idea:

goneboatin
    Use 5/8" plywood, I used 3/4" plywood for a subbase and where there were any irregualrites in the cabinet or plywood, the plywood can be seen below the bottom edging of the countertop. Plus I wouldn't use the same granite outfit I had do mine or even give them a referral.
    The sink reinforcing depends on if you use an undermount sink or a self-rimming sink. If you go a stainless steel sink like I did, go with the Franke sink. I went with Elkay and it scratches like crazy. The Franke doesn't have a raised "grain", it's more of a polished finish.

Lavey29
    I used a place in Upland on 9th street called Primo Stone and tile,,,,they did a great job in my kitchen and were the most affordable,,,,I checked and had estimates from 5 different places,,,really happy with the work that they did...

MagicMtnDan
    I know a great granite/tile company in the SFV. They're not cheap but with granite and tile work you only get what you pay for.

goneboatin
    They should have used a larger bullnose piece to cover that up. No wonder you're unhappy.
    I'm unhappy because I used Primo Stone.

Outnumbered
    Before you get granite take a good look at Silestone. www.silestoneusa.com
    IMHO better than granite. Looks just as nice and less maintenance. Whatever you do do not get Corian. Corian blows. I made that mistake once.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    What is Silestone?
    Silestone® is naturally beautiful, durable quartz. Silestone is the world’s leading natural quartz surface — a superior stone for myriad interior surfacing applications because of its ideal combination of beauty and practicality.
    What is natural quartz?
    Quartz is one of the hardest, most abundant minerals found in nature — only diamond, sapphire and topaz are harder. Besides beauty, the quartz in Silestone gives it extreme strength, making Silestone highly scratch-resistant.
    What are the advantages of Silestone?
    Silestone is a dense, non-porous stone that delivers unsurpassed reliability and performance — scratch-resistance and stain-resistance with no sealing required in a large variety of naturally beautiful colors.
    Why should I choose Silestone?
    Silestone is the smartest choice for homeowners as it delivers both unique beauty and extreme durability. The unsurpassed professionalism of Silestone’s team is backed by more than 70 years experience in the natural stone industry, and a mature distribution network makes the product readily available throughout North America.
    How does Silestone compare to other natural stones, like granite?
    Silestone offers more color consistency than granite, making it easier to pick colors from samples without having to visit a stone yard. Plus, Silestone is virtually maintenance-free — it doesn’t need to be sealed and cleaning is a cinch.
    How does Silestone compare tosolid surfaces, like Corian®?
    The quartz in Silestone is 100% natural; a hard mineral that gives Silestone both beauty and strength. Solid surfaces are plastic polymers that lack the brilliance and reflectivity of natural stone, and are softer — making them more susceptible to scorches and scratches.
    How does Silestone compare to other natural quartz surfaces?
    Silestone provides unmatched delivery capacity, worldwide availability, more color variety, the only program of certified installation professionals and a successful track record of more than 15 years in natural quartz and 70 years in the stone industry. In 2005, Silestone is the first and only countertop to introduce built-in Microban® antimicrobial product protection.
    Can I use Silestone in my kitchen?
    Yes. Silestone is ideal for use in kitchen countertops, island tops, backsplashes, and more. You may even purchase knobs, switch plates and handles made of Silestone natural quartz to match your kitchen surfaces.
    Can I use Silestone in my bathroom?
    Yes. Add beauty and practicality to any bathroom with Silestone vanities, backsplashes, shower walls and tub surrounds.
    Can I use Silestone for flooring?
    Yes. Silestone makes striking flooring throughout the home or office. You may pick from standard-size tiles or have Silestone custom-cut to fit your style.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Microban Frequently Asked Questions
    What benefit do I get from Silestone® with Microban® antimicrobial protection?
    Microban protection continuously fights the growth of microbes that can cause stains and odors. Microban protection makes your Silestone countertops easier to clean and keeps them cleaner between cleanings.
    Wow is Microban protection effective?
    Microban antimicrobial protection is effective against most common bacteria, yeasts, molds and fungi that cause stains and odors. Microban technology is not designed to protect users from disease-causing microorganisms.
    Is Microban protection safe?
    Microban technology has undergone extensive independent laboratory testing. It is registered with the EPA for use in Silestone and has a long history of safe use.
    How long does Microban antimicrobial protection last in Silestone?
    Microban protection is built-in during the manufacturing process — becoming part of the molecular structure of Silestone and will not wash off or wear away.
    Can I get Microban put into Silestone if it is already installed in my home?
    No. Microban can only be integrated into the product during the manufacturing process.
    Is there anything wrong with the Silestone currently on the market without Microban?
    Absolutely not. Silestone is inherently the best countertop in the market. It is virtually non-porous therefore there 0 provides added built-in protection to inhibit the growth of bacteria on the surface keeping it even cleaner between cleanings.
    Do I still have to clean my Silestone countertop?
    Yes. Microban inhibits growth of bacteria, but cannot replace the need for good and regular hygiene practices.
    Does any other countertop, vanity top or other quartz surface contain Microban?
    No. Silestone® has an exclusive agreement with Microban International and is the ONLY quartz surface in the world to offer antimicrobial protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast