Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Granite counters in IE...DILLIGAF ?....

AirtimeLavey
    I used a place in Upland on 9th street called Primo Stone and tile,,,,they did a great job in my kitchen and were the most affordable,,,,I checked and had estimates from 5 different places,,,really happy with the work that they did...
    They were on the short list, until Goneboatin's story.
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Much appreciated.

AirtimeLavey
    Rick.....Annabelle called and left a message for you today.
    She did, thanks. I left her a message, back. I'll be talking to her today.

AirtimeLavey
    Before you get granite take a good look at Silestone. www.silestoneusa.com
    IMHO better than granite. Looks just as nice and less maintenance. Whatever you do do not get Corian. Corian blows. I made that mistake once.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    What is Silestone?
    Silestone® is naturally beautiful, durable quartz. Silestone is the world’s leading natural quartz surface — a superior stone for myriad interior surfacing applications because of its ideal combination of beauty and practicality.
    What is natural quartz?
    Quartz is one of the hardest, most abundant minerals found in nature — only diamond, sapphire and topaz are harder. Besides beauty, the quartz in Silestone gives it extreme strength, making Silestone highly scratch-resistant.
    What are the advantages of Silestone?
    Silestone is a dense, non-porous stone that delivers unsurpassed reliability and performance — scratch-resistance and stain-resistance with no sealing required in a large variety of naturally beautiful colors.
    Why should I choose Silestone?
    Silestone is the smartest choice for homeowners as it delivers both unique beauty and extreme durability. The unsurpassed professionalism of Silestone’s team is backed by more than 70 years experience in the natural stone industry, and a mature distribution network makes the product readily available throughout North America.
    How does Silestone compare to other natural stones, like granite?
    Silestone offers more color consistency than granite, making it easier to pick colors from samples without having to visit a stone yard. Plus, Silestone is virtually maintenance-free — it doesn’t need to be sealed and cleaning is a cinch.
    How does Silestone compare tosolid surfaces, like Corian®?
    The quartz in Silestone is 100% natural; a hard mineral that gives Silestone both beauty and strength. Solid surfaces are plastic polymers that lack the brilliance and reflectivity of natural stone, and are softer — making them more susceptible to scorches and scratches.
    How does Silestone compare to other natural quartz surfaces?
    Silestone provides unmatched delivery capacity, worldwide availability, more color variety, the only program of certified installation professionals and a successful track record of more than 15 years in natural quartz and 70 years in the stone industry. In 2005, Silestone is the first and only countertop to introduce built-in Microban® antimicrobial product protection.
    Can I use Silestone in my kitchen?
    Yes. Silestone is ideal for use in kitchen countertops, island tops, backsplashes, and more. You may even purchase knobs, switch plates and handles made of Silestone natural quartz to match your kitchen surfaces.
    Can I use Silestone in my bathroom?
    Yes. Add beauty and practicality to any bathroom with Silestone vanities, backsplashes, shower walls and tub surrounds.
    Can I use Silestone for flooring?
    Yes. Silestone makes striking flooring throughout the home or office. You may pick from standard-size tiles or have Silestone custom-cut to fit your style.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Microban Frequently Asked Questions
    What benefit do I get from Silestone® with Microban® antimicrobial protection?
    Microban protection continuously fights the growth of microbes that can cause stains and odors. Microban protection makes your Silestone countertops easier to clean and keeps them cleaner between cleanings.
    Wow is Microban protection effective?
    Microban antimicrobial protection is effective against most common bacteria, yeasts, molds and fungi that cause stains and odors. Microban technology is not designed to protect users from disease-causing microorganisms.
    Is Microban protection safe?
    Microban technology has undergone extensive independent laboratory testing. It is registered with the EPA for use in Silestone and has a long history of safe use.
    How long does Microban antimicrobial protection last in Silestone?
    Microban protection is built-in during the manufacturing process — becoming part of the molecular structure of Silestone and will not wash off or wear away.
    Can I get Microban put into Silestone if it is already installed in my home?
    No. Microban can only be integrated into the product during the manufacturing process.
    Is there anything wrong with the Silestone currently on the market without Microban?
    Absolutely not. Silestone is inherently the best countertop in the market. It is virtually non-porous therefore there 0 provides added built-in protection to inhibit the growth of bacteria on the surface keeping it even cleaner between cleanings.
    Do I still have to clean my Silestone countertop?
    Yes. Microban inhibits growth of bacteria, but cannot replace the need for good and regular hygiene practices.
    Does any other countertop, vanity top or other quartz surface contain Microban?
    No. Silestone® has an exclusive agreement with Microban International and is the ONLY quartz surface in the world to offer antimicrobial protection.
    Thanks for the info - strong argument for it. We looked at it, but didn't find a color we liked. Not completely ruled out, yet.

Flashover
    Thanks for the info - strong argument for it. We looked at it, but didn't find a color we liked. Not completely ruled out, yet.
    Have you ever looked into concrete? We did that for our bar in the basement. it ia about 65 sqft of space, they will do it in any color you want and any shape as well, They can also mold the sink out of concrete as large or as small as you want and any shape too. Mine is 2" thick with a built in sink. we are very happy with it. I will post a link to my guy that has pictures on it but you will have to do some research to find someone in your area. Good luck.. Concrete Xpressions (www.concretexpressions.com)

AirtimeLavey
    Have you ever looked into concrete? We did that for our bar in the basement. it ia about 65 sqft of space, they will do it in any color you want and any shape as well, They can also mold the sink out of concrete as large or as small as you want and any shape too. Mine is 2" thick with a built in sink. we are very happy with it. I will post a link to my guy that has pictures on it but you will have to do some research to find someone in your area. Good luck.. Concrete Xpressions (www.concretexpressions.com)
    Never heard about it used that way. Pretty wild. Thanks for the link. Leaning pretty heavily towards granite at this point in time.

About the steel rod delieo. I was told by a very experienced granite guy that the steel rods are needed regardless of the sub surface used to re inforce the areas at the corners of the sink. It is the weakest part of the top and the rods really help keep the cracking down.
    This guy didn't have a dog in the race as he was just giving me some of his knowledge. I know everyone has their own opinion this was just his...
    Steve

Outnumbered
    I've seen some sweet installs of stained concrete floors and counters. But, like granite and marble, it is porous and will soak up stains, grease, juice, germs, etc if the stuff sits on it long enough. Also, it will require sealing and polishing to stay looking nice.
    My vote is for the Silestone. I'm surprised that you did not find a color you liked. Are you sure you were shown all the colors. Check the web site for some ideas. The have tons of pics in the gallery and also have color pallets.

Flashover
    I've seen some sweet installs of stained concrete floors and counters. But, like granite and marble, it is porous and will soak up stains, grease, juice, germs, etc if the stuff sits on it long enough. Also, it will require sealing and polishing to stay looking nice.
    My vote is for the Silestone. I'm surprised that you did not find a color you liked. Are you sure you were shown all the colors. Check the web site for some ideas. The have tons of pics in the gallery and also have color pallets.
    I was wondering the same thing before i decided wich way to go. My concrete has a 25yr sealer on it that wont dull or stain, The only thing you have to worry about are deep scratches. This is also not a stained surface, at least mine is not, Mine is dyed the color of your choice. But yes they do the stained surface also. he also does some cool custom inlays..

Outnumbered
    I was wondering the same thing before i decided wich way to go. My concrete has a 25yr sealer on it that wont dull or stain, The only thing you have to worry about are deep scratches. This is also not a stained surface, at least mine is not, Mine is dyed the color of your choice. But yes they do the stained surface also. he also does some cool custom inlays..
    Nice, I do like that and it is not too common. I would love to do colored concrete floors in my next house.

Flashover
    Nice, I do like that and it is not too common. I would love to do colored concrete floors in my next house.
    We were quoted around $3.00 or so a sqft to do a stamped and stained concrete floor over existing concrete. Now over a wood subfloor is a little more..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12