Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 525 too big or 496HO too small?

Biglue
    Having the HO or bigger power will give it a higher resale value though. Something to consider.

Beer-30
    I did talk to a guy selling a 26 Lavey. He had a 496HO with a procharger on it. Said it would run mid 70s, but wished he had done a 525.
    I'd really love the Merc 600 or an Ilmor 625, but $40k for the motor plus the hardware to support it is a lot of $$$
    Ultimately, it comes down to what is fast enough for you.
    My wife is fine with 60, but much more, and she would be giving me "the look". Plus, anyone on my boat is usually fine at that speed, so I personally don't need any more.
    So, if faster than high 60's in a 26 footer is what you want; go more than an HO. If you want to just cruise at 45-50 and top around 67-68; go with the HO and spend the money on other upgrades that you will use more. Tabs, billet, stereo, maybe steering? Just an idea.

voodoomedman
    Oh, I think you will end up eating those words. Multiple peeps here that have Mag are always looking to bring it up to HO standards. Now, the HO is not some super-motor that works great in every single boat for every single person. The extra torque, more than the fitty HP, moves boats around better.
    To answer the man's question, I have a 30-footer with an HO. It moves the boat, 8 people, 3 ice chest, gear, and full fuel just fine for me. Plus, I can go an average weekend and not fill up. I can launch at Windsor, hang in the Channel. Fire up and head to Topock at 40-45. Come back to Channel. Finish the day. Launch next day. Hang in Channel. Run over to Copper. Run WFO to Springs. Eat. Run WFO back to Channel - and still not put gas in. Mind you, it's down to 1/4 in each tank, but still goin.
    Now, would I love to have a 525? Sure! Do I NEED it? No. The boat will do 60 with a full load. That pretty respectable for a 7500lb single.
    If I were buying a brand new boat, I would still get an HO. 525s are excellent motors, built with some very nice components. They are just a little overpriced, though. One could rebuild an HO to 525 specs for less money - and have it whatever color and specs YOU want.
    I don't think he will end up eating his words at all. It depends on the hull. With bigger boats you need all the extra you can get and want the HO. The 24 Stealth pops out of the hole quickly and accelerates quickly and really the only thing having the HO will do is give it maybe another 2 mph in the top end. The guys at Ultra will tell you that. Kinda funny that they don't try and upsell you to make an extra couple of bucks. The Mag is all that is needed. Now in your 30 footer then heck yeah go with the HO at a bare minimum.
    Now 24 foot V's and smaller with Huge power your probably asking for chine walk. There really is no need unless you want to haul a$$ in the right conditions and you are a very, very, very good driver.

superduty
    Chipster27 What's your opinion?
    I have a friend that runs a 496 in his 21' Lavey and my feelings are that if the pilot of the boat knows what he is doing then you'll always want more. His 21 handles and performes great. I put the Blue one in my Lavey 2750 because I didn't want to be down the road with the 496 sitting in a proven boat that can handle more and had spent that much money and still didn't get exactly what I wanted. I originally thought about the 496 mainly because of funds but the same buddy with the 21' said he would kick my arss if I disrespected that boat like that. I believe his words were "lie, cheat, steal, borrow, do what ever you have to but put nothing smaller than the 525". I have no regrets. :crossx:

wsuwrhr
    In a 26 footer or more, a 496HO will be boring and you will be wishing you had at least a 525 if not more.
    I agree, once you build it, it is really hard($$$$) to go back and repower it.
    Always better to have more power than you need, rather than have less power than you want it.
    Just costs more money, in gas, drives, maintainance and storage fees.
    Don't forget the storage fees.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    I'll leave the colors and design to my wife...I have no creativity. An all white boat with a blue stripe and the word BOAT would work for me....
    Merc 525's are a pearl blue, I think the HO and the 496 is black.
    Brian

Beer-30
    I don't think he will end up eating his words at all. It depends on the hull. With bigger boats you need all the extra you can get and want the HO. The 24 Stealth pops out of the hole quickly and accelerates quickly and really the only thing having the HO will do is give it maybe another 2 mph in the top end. The guys at Ultra will tell you that. Kinda funny that they don't try and upsell you to make an extra couple of bucks. The Mag is all that is needed. Now in your 30 footer then heck yeah go with the HO at a bare minimum.
    Now 24 foot V's and smaller with Huge power your probably asking for chine walk. There really is no need unless you want to haul a$$ in the right conditions and you are a very, very, very good driver.
    Another good post.

blackcloud75
    You'll always want bigger.........just go w/ the 525

Kilrtoy
    I love these threads....
    I love these threads....
    Did I say i love these threads.....
    I know of alot of people wishing they went big right now.....
    GO AS BIG AS YOU CAN AFFORD AND THEN GO ONE STEP BIGGER...
    TRUST ME ON THIS ONE....
    YOU NEVER HEAR ANYONE SAY DAMN I WISH I HAD A SLOWER BOAT, BUT EVERYONE WISHES THEY HAD A FASTER BOAT

Tequila-John
    I love these threads....
    I love these threads....
    Did I say i love these threads.....
    I know of alot of people wishing they went big right now.....
    GO AS BIG AS YOU CAN AFFORD AND THEN GO ONE STEP BIGGER...
    TRUST ME ON THIS ONE....
    YOU NEVER HEAR ANYONE SAY DAMN I WISH I HAD A SLOWER BOAT, BUT EVERYONE WISHES THEY HAD A FASTER BOAT
    AMEN BROTHER!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast