Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 525 too big or 496HO too small?

Jyruiz
    If you are a speed demon, go with the most power you can afford. I only have the 496mag on my 26'r and have only gone past 50mph once. I like to cruise and enjoy the ride, my cruising speed is between 40mph and 45mph, gives me plenty of time to avoid the careless boaters/lake lice out there.

Kilrtoy
    If you believe that I've got some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. Hell If you'll buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free.
    I recall another thread where I posted some prices and was called a liar and everyone said they were sold at cost, So now they are not....

I posted the same question when I was having my Shockwave built earlier this year and got the same answers. I think the appropriate answer is getting what you can afford, including what the price of insurance will be if you get a bigger motor. I personally went with the mag/ho in my 25 footer and it goes plenty fast FOR ME (70 to 73 mph). I did as someone else suggested and used some of the extra $$$$ it would have cost to go with a blue motor and bought some "extras." For example: upgraded the gauges, went with full hydraulic steering (the best $$$ I could have spent), upgraded the stereo, etc.....You'll get alot of answers from people trying to spend your money, but only YOU know what YOU can afford. If speed is that critical to you and you can afford the initial cost and insurance, I would suggest going as big as you can.
    By the way, I know of a nice 25'er with a mag/ho and numerous options for sale....
    Check this one out:
    http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117811
    (Come on guys, you think I'd pass up a chance like this?)

Kilrtoy
    Your right to a certain extent. It depends on the hull and what the boat is used for. I am actually perfectly happy with my 496 Mag. However I did upgrade. It was not standard when I bought mine. The 6.2 was standard and I got a look from my wife for spending the extra. I would be bugged about it to this day if I did not upgrade. Now there isn't much need for extra in my hull. Maybe a 525 would be alright. However, there that just built one with a Teague 800 in it. Helllllooooooooo. I hope he knows how to control himself in that thing or we are going to be see another one of those knock down drag out threads debating the quality of an Ultra because some dude has way too much power for his boat. Your boat is bichen but I wouldn't want to drive it with some sort of 5000 horsepower jet engine in it. Even you would say I got too much power.
    That is getting a little extreme...5000 HP.... Maybe 4500 would be ok
    :boxed:
    I know off hand of two people this year that picked up there boat and on the second day were already regretting the engine choice(TOO SMALL)....
    I know of a cobra that just dumped his 496 with 19 hours on it for a 200 hp more powerful motor and one last year that regretted it the day of delivery... That is just off the tip of my tongue... nobody wants to go slow, if that is the case, buy a pontoon and save the cash

voodoomedman
    I recall another thread where I posted some prices and was called a liar and everyone said they were sold at cost, So now they are not....
    I was thinking you were joking because I remembered that. Anyways I don't know for sure and it's just my opinion but come on. I don't think that any of these guys are in the business just for the fun of it. They need to turn a profit. Now there might not be a huge margin in Mercury motors but I'm sure there is profit in there. Go buy a new car and have them tell you they are making no money by selling it to you at invoice. I'm sure Jay can tell you all about dealer holdbacks, volume incentives and a myriad of other things that the manufacturer pays them for selling that car.

voodoomedman
    That is getting a little extreme...5000 HP.... Maybe 4500 would be ok
    :boxed:
    I know off hand of two people this year that picked up there boat and on the second day were already regretting the engine choice(TOO SMALL)....
    I know of a cobra that just dumped his 496 with 19 hours on it for a 200 hp more powerful motor and one last year that regretted it the day of delivery... That is just off the tip of my tongue... nobody wants to go slow, if that is the case, buy a pontoon and save the cash
    I agree. I'm just saying there does come a point. Like I said a 525 in a 24 foot V is probably a kick in the pants but a freaking Teague 800. Geez.

voodoomedman
    I posted the same question when I was having my Shockwave built earlier this year and got the same answers. I think the appropriate answer is getting what you can afford, including what the price of insurance will be if you get a bigger motor. I personally went with the mag/ho in my 25 footer and it goes plenty fast FOR ME (70 to 73 mph). I did as someone else suggested and used some of the extra $$$$ it would have cost to go with a blue motor and bought some "extras." For example: upgraded the gauges, went with full hydraulic steering (the best $$$ I could have spent), upgraded the stereo, etc.....You'll get alot of answers from people trying to spend your money, but only YOU know what YOU can afford. If speed is that critical to you and you can afford the initial cost and insurance, I would suggest going as big as you can.
    By the way, I know of a nice 25'er with a mag/ho and numerous options for sale....
    Check this one out:
    http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117811
    (Come on guys, you think I'd pass up a chance like this?)
    Nice post.
    Well maybe it could have done without the shameless spam.

98 Vector 21
    Step up...You will allways want more...
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...corba005-1.jpg

Kilrtoy
    Ok so what is the price of a 15K bumped 525HP
    what is the profit margin....
    I can think of one manufacture that sells them at 30K bumps and then dumps the price to 15 and says I cant go any lower ....im saying that is a 20K profit...

I agree. If you know how to use a throttle and your drive can handle it, then go for as many ponies as your check book can handle.
    Gorgeous ride.......I miss my Hallett245..... :frown:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast