Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 525 too big or 496HO too small?

Kilrtoy
    but a freaking Teague 800. Geez.
    I will agree that is way too much, for that boat....

Decided Advantage
    If you can handle the 23K bump I'd go for the 525HP. I'd opt for an all forged 502 over a cast 496 any day. The boat only goes as far as you push the stick. If you drive to fast it's your fault no the 525's. Ck merc on this I think they recommend changing the valve springs out on a 525 at 250 hours. Still cheaper than changing the 496 out after chasing 525s at 250 hours.
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people. :crossx:

Chipster27
    Check this one out:
    http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117811
    (Come on guys, you think I'd pass up a chance like this?)
    Now I remember where I saw your boat, it was on GD.com. I also remember you (with the GD.com name) on RV.net. Didn't you have a Gearbox that had some de-lamination issues?

Now I remember where I saw your boat, it was on GD.com. I also remember you (with the GD.com name) on RV.net. Didn't you have a Gearbox that had some de-lamination issues?
    Yep, lemon lawed that bad boy (finally)..

DMOORE
    If you actually have to think about the bigger motor, you have already answered your own question. Go with it. If you don't, you'll regret it later.
    Darrell.

THOR
    What is the jump from the HO to the 500HP?
    Better yet, what is the jump from the HO to the 525?
    I'd really like to know the honest answer and see what the real list price is and start from there.

wsuwrhr
    Nice sig sir.
    Brian
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people. :crossx:

Beer-30
    What is the jump from the HO to the 500HP?
    Better yet, what is the jump from the HO to the 525?
    I'd really like to know the honest answer and see what the real list price is and start from there.
    HP500EFI is no more. No longer produced. Kinda leaves a wide gap between HO and 525.

shadow
    If you actually have to think about the bigger motor, you have already answered your own question. Go with it. If you don't, you'll regret it later.
    Darrell.
    Thats a fact!
    Gaurantee that 99.9% of the people that own a boat would like more HP
    no matter what HP they have.The ones that say they don't are bull shitting themselves.

Singleton
    At the end of the day it all depends on the boat (size and weight) and what you want to do with it (family cruise, etc \ or run for speed).
    Just ordered the Ultra 26' Shadow Deck and went with the 496HO (should run in mid-70's, low 70's with full load) and that is fast enough for me. Wife does not like it when I go over 45 in current boat and with the kids I needed to think safety first. Also my insurance (lovely State Farm) would not insure it with a 525 (they state too much motor for that size\weight boat). They did some sort of calc and said the boat would go over 85 with that package, but they did not even talk to JW, so how the hell can they figure that out.
    So I would say get the motor you want for what you are going to do with the boat you are going to purchase. Remember everyone gets boat\speed jealous out on Havasu at some point in time, but in the end you have to be happy with what you paid for.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast