Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jelly Fish vs Jet...Who wins?

Hmmm, Got a question.
    Was out in the salt this weekend (I know, I know), and was ripping thru what Budlight called the speed alley. Running at a nice clip around 56OO following a 38' Fountain.
    I noticed as we entered the alley it was full of jelly fish......Frickin things were EVERYWHERE!
    So,
    1. Does the presence of something that has a consistency somewhat firmer than water (but not by much) add or reduce the amount of thrust a jet can provide?
    2. Given that the 38' Fountain was spinning twin big blocks, which did a better job of blending the jelly fish? This is a variation of the classic Prop vs. Jet discussion that I'm not sure anyone else has asked. I know, you can thank me later.
    Now someone brighter than me would have watched the tach to see if there was a noticeble change in rpms, but I'm afraid I did not. So, I pose these questions to the all knowing here on the board........
    John (aka, Food Processor Pilot)

DMOORE
    Having spent Many years in the SEAL teams and running both prop and jets in in jellyfish "infested" waters, I have never seen a boat develop a problem due to them. Never a difference in speed, nor any problems with cooling. Now kelp, thats a whole different story.
    Darrell.

SmokinLowriderSS
    The jet wins over the 2x BB prop from cool factor. "Airborne Jelly-fish Cloud" roost!!

1978 Rogers
    "Airborne Jelly-fish Cloud" roost!!
    You are correct. The flesh substance of a jelly fish is slightly lighter than water causing more hang time on the roost.

LAFD
    The jet wins over the 2x BB prop from cool factor. "Airborne Jelly-fish Cloud" roost!!
    that would be fricken awesome. stupid jelly fish.

Legal Chemistry
    You shouldn't have any problem... I've sucked MANY up and spit 'em right back out. Also depending are where you are -they more than likely won't sting.

spectratoad
    Should have had some peanut butter to go with your jelly fish.

Legal Chemistry
    okay, now you kow what we're talking about... This is what we normally get here on the lower west coast. Moon Jellies. I remember as kids swimming in the harbours grabbing/crushing/ and throwing these at buddies. BTW, these don't sting
    http://www.bipster.net/hawaii/images/26-jellyfish.jpg

Gayleen
    John,
    Too bad you don't have a real pump with a diverter. (Sorry John, I could help it.) That would have been really cool.
    I saw a piece of bark fly about a foot above the roast, that was cool.

DMOORE
    When you hit someone in the face with one, it looks like snot.
    Darrell.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast