Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For pickup truck cargo, when is a red flag needed?

Cheap Thrills
    Section 24604. "Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square."
    This is correct 4' .. but seeing how stupid most class C drivers are I would flag anything that hangs out past the tailgate.
    C.T. :wink:

ratso
    ... or tie it to the door handle when the cab of the truck is 'in use'.
    lmao...
    Seriously though... I've run into 2X4's or what have you walking around a truck, and they probably weren't much more than a foot or two sticking out.
    I get so freakin' mad at my guys around here sometime... they'll take a cherry picker (engine hoist) and get through using it and leave it out in the middle of the floor about eye level... I got a couple bumps on the head from that too...

uvindex
    I would flag anything that hangs out past the tailgate.
    C.T. :wink:I'm with you. Just posted that 'cause the original poster wanted to read the code for himself.

Wet Dream
    I read the same thing, but that pertains to commercial vehicles more than pickup trucks, especially where it states:
    Per CVC Section 35410, the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase. The wheelbase of a semitrailer shall be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer.

uvindex
    I read the same thing, but that pertains to commercial vehicles more than pickup trucks, especially where it states:
    Per CVC Section 35410, the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase. The wheelbase of a semitrailer shall be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer.I'm not following you. 24604 says, "Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends..." so why do you think it does not apply to pickup trucks?

Cheap Thrills
    Per CVC Section 35410, the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase. The wheelbase of a semitrailer shall be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer.
    I'm not following you. 24604 says, "Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends..." so why do you think it does not apply to pickup trucks?
    These are two different regs. the first 35410 is the MAXIMUM ammount allowed to extend beyond the vehicle. as noted in the words Shall not extend beyond....
    The second 24604 is the minimum ammount of overhang which will require a visible marker.
    C.T. :wink:

RitcheyRch
    Better safe than sorry
    I tie a flag on anything extending past the tailgate.

H20 Party Starter
    idiot drivers that don't pay attention, and then would probably sue you if they got hurt and you didn't have one[/QUOTE]
    DING DING DING WINNER!!!!!!
    except my truck was parked, pole extending 36" over closed tail gate, asian dude ON A BICYCLE took himself out (7 stitches). My straight trailer hitch sticks out 18" by itself, my drop hitch 12" He said "the sun was in my eyes"
    I haven't been sued yet, but I got an "Attorney's info request" form from the DMV, so obviously he did that to get my name and run a credit report to find out I'm not worth suing.
    It happened on private property, no police report, no pictures. I say **** the lawyer bring it on, and 'm going to counter-sue for the dent in my tailgate :crossx:

YeLLowBoaT
    I hope you have documentation of all this... pics of the pipe, your tail gate....

Moneypitt
    It happened on private property, no police report, no pictures. I say **** the lawyer bring it on, and 'm going to counter-sue for the dent in my tailgate :crossx:[/QUOTE]
    Was it in a driveway with the piece sticking over the sidewalk, or a parking lot? Or you own driveway NOT sticking over the walk?..........Was he drunk??? Gee, he sure smelled like alcohol after it happened!!!!..........MP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast