Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.2 liter diesel

slowinhavasu
    Early motor, I think it's in a 87 chevy, pros and cons???????????

Redneck
    con its old lol actually then wasnt that motor just a 350 with glow plugs might be wrong

Jordy
    It's actually the same short block as the 6.5 for all intents an purposes. It's what they ran in the Hummer for years. When you get a good one, they're good, other than that, good luck. Banks made a Sidewinder kit for them to turbo them and bring them to life a little bit, ATS was another choice which might be better than Banks, but it's a 6.2 so it is what it is. Weak 2 bolt bottom end, along with brittle crank and pistons, but they ran a mechanical pump, so it was actually user servicable. I put 245K on a 6.5 Chevy turbo diesel with an electronic pump with minimal problems. You just get used to not being the first one up the hills if that is what you're running. Any other questions, post 'um up.

slowinhavasu
    This K5 is super clean, one owner low miles kinda delio....nobody wants to buy it because it's the early diesel....I just want it to cruise around the desert here, desert bar and pull a boat up and down the hill ???????
    I'm a pretty good mechanic, but don't want to get in over my head...

Jordy
    Carey, like I said, the 6.2 was a good motor if you don't plan on pulling 16,000 lbs up the hill at 75 mph. I have a few friends who had them in a K5 and they were wheelin' mo' fo's as they make most their torque before the 2000 rpm range. If you get a good one they'll run forever and parts are abundant and cheap. It's when people try to hotrod them and keep up with the big blocks and newer diesels running up the hill that they run into trouble.
    If the price is right, I say go for it as the basic mechanicals are very easy on the early diesels. Injectors and glow plugs are cheap and the injection pump in mechanical so it's a matter of marking what position it was in when it came out as to where it goes back in when you replace it, then just prime the system and you're golden. They get great mileage in a K5 and if you blow it up, pull it out and put a crate or junkyard small block gasser in it and be done with it and still have a fun off roader.

slowinhavasu
    Sounds like it might fit our needs....Thanks for the help.......

Run_em_Hard
    I have heard that they get really good fuel milage untill you put some weight behind them...

DMOORE
    For just putting around the desert or town, it would be great. Good fuel mileage and all. Just don't expect to tow with it.
    Darrell.

HavasuHome
    R you getting rid of the Jeep?

Trailer Park Casanova
    I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's a throw-away motor, no rebuilding it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast