Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the "pop"

Deano
    I just put a new engine in the boat. I dont know any of the specs but was told that it is a 454. It has a weiand blower and a big single carb on top.
    This thing runs like a bat outta hell when its opened up but at idle there is a pop at the exhaust side. It seems to only happen when coming off a load and down to idle.
    I had a 50/50 mixture of 87 and 110 octane. The transom is really black so I was thinking its running too rich. Do I need to re-jet it? I was reading that the pop is from being too lean though. Is that true?

502 JET
    I would look for a leak around the exhaust ports.

deltaAce
    Check the timing also & smooth operation of the mechanical advance.

Deano
    the timing is locked out at 32. I put all new msd on it too.
    The boat the engine came out of was purchased in Wisconsin and now lives in Havasu. The engines were in the boat for all of about 2 days running so he never got into dialing it in.
    The transom is blacker than I have seen. I am going to see what jets are in it this week and go from there.
    Any ideas of where to start?

blownzoom440
    i have 88primary/90 secandary jets in my holleys with no power valves.i have no info for a carb with powervalves,sorry.what carb?

Deano
    thanks, Ill check that too. Im not sure what header are on it, but they are big sombitches. The header pipes are huge and come out 5". maybe cmi.

Deano
    what carb?
    thats a good question Ill take a look at it tonight, take some pictures of it and post tomorrow.

blownzoom440
    get the list #off it if it is a holley.take the bowls off and see what jets are in it.thanks!
    i am just trying to help if i can.

Deano
    get the list #off it if it is a holley.take the bowls off and see what jets are in it.thanks!
    i am just trying to help if i can.
    will do. definitely appreciated.

Sanger77
    I agree with 502 Jet, very small gap/pinhole around header flange/gasket is a common cause, I would check this area first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast