Thread: piston rings, again

freakdave
    i plan on using moly rings for my 509 n/a. are there advantages to using file fit gapless moly rings for $225 vs regular moly rings for $125? thanks, dave
    btw, the motor is not for racing

RICHARD TILL
    Dave, I dont think you`ll ever have a problem with the moly rings in your application. I`ve installed them in lots of boats over the last 35 years.

GofastRacer
    The gapless rings are a total waste of money for your application, just get a set of SpeedPro file to fit moly rings and you're good to go!..

fc-pilot
    I have to side with Art on this one, go with the basic file to fit rings and run it to death. The results I have seen with the gapless have been mixed, so to be safe run the file to fits. How much power would you loose, maybe five horse power for your application? That is too little to risk some of the negative side effects that I have seen.
    Paul

SmokinLowriderSS
    I have to side with Art on this one, go with the basic file to fit rings and run it to death. The results I have seen with the gapless have been mixed, so to be safe run the file to fits. How much power would you loose, maybe five horse power for your application? That is too little to risk some of the negative side effects that I have seen.
    Paul
    What negatives have you seen fc?
    I was thinking this same thought when I rebuilt my 454 Mk-IV 2 winters ago but was held to Speed-Pro double-molly standard rings by my budget at the time. One of these days a buddy of mine has a 460 to build and the same thoughts will come up.

fc-pilot
    Smokin, I just sent you a PM.
    Paul

SmokinLowriderSS
    Thx for the info and opinion fc. Will file away for future use and give due consideration to.

Any good file fit moly ring is what I would suggest. The latest trend is to open up the 2nd ring gap to allow the pressure between the 1st and 2nd to be reduced. By reducing this pressure you prevent ring flutter which can rob horsepower.