Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercurys, no cable, 'Fly-By'Wire" digital shifter/throttle control:

Trailer Park Casanova
    We were at Puddingstone Lake (pond?) this morning, the wife docking the boat, me parking the truck and talking to the LEO's, so all the Robin Hoods came over to help Maid Marian dock.
    One of the guys let us try Mercurys Digital, no-cable "fly by wire" throttle/shifter on his boat.
    Never saw it before, the guy said it's not available yet. Damfino, is that true?
    Nice, finest kine, though the Mercury cable style controls are very good too, no arguement there.
    I think this just might be the up and coming thing.
    I'll make sure our next boat has it, it's excellent.
    Pretty cool set up.

Cheap Thrills
    Sounds like a bad deal for the consumer. While it may be more cost effective for Merc., The chances of somthing digital turning into a disaster ( Failure) for someones outing are by far greater than they would be for the time proven Morse / Telflex /Teleflex type cables.
    As with any new technology I would give it a year or so before diving into having one for myself.
    Then again it may be the best theing since sliced bread but I doubt it.
    C.T. :wink:

Trailer Park Casanova
    Sounds like a bad deal for the consumer. While it may be more cost effective for Merc., The chances of somthing digital turning into a disaster ( Failure) for someones outing are by far greater than they would be for the time proven Morse / Telflex /Teleflex type cables.
    As with any new technology I would give it a year or so before diving into having one for myself.
    Then again it may be the best theing since sliced bread but I doubt it.
    Yea, good take CT.
    I'm thinking in my pea size brain though that it may eventually work very well with the Perfect pass type wakeboard cruise controls for even more precise speed control.
    Waddya think??

Throttle
    i am not even out of control ... yet ... :rollside:

ChumpChange
    Next time you're at Puddlestone, let somebody know. That's right around the corner. I was just driving around there over the weekend watching all the boats. I like boats.

HCS
    Drive by wire in boats. Hmmm...good idea.
    As long as it's reliable.

Cbrown
    Indmar has been using drive by wire for two years now. They introduced it with Mastercraft in 2005 with very few problems, and nearly perfected it in 2006 when Malibu and Supra/Moomba started using it.

Cheap Thrills
    Yea, good take CT.
    I'm thinking in my pea size brain though that it may eventually work very well with the Perfect pass type wakeboard cruise controls for even more precise speed control.
    Waddya think??
    I think I need a beer You do have a point there it would be good to have for precise speed control in a competition enviroment where a constant accurate speed would be desired but for the recreational boater I dont see the advantages other than bragging rights which is good enough excuse I suppose
    But when my throttle stops working chances are I can have it diagnosed within a few min. without a continuity checker and a soldering iron.
    Indmar has been using drive by wire for two years now. They introduced it with Mastercraft in 2005 with very few problems, and nearly perfected it in 2006 when Malibu and Supra/Moomba started using it.
    interesting info.

wildbillg
    I have sold several boat with it and it is fantastic!!!
    here is a blurb from mercury marine
    n 2003, Mercury quietly launched its Digital Throttle and Shift system (DTS) for the 225 OptiMax outboards, MerCruiser 496 MAG High Output and 496 MAG sterndrives, and MerCruiser 8.1S High Output and 8.1S Horizon inboards. Its arrival is inevitable as more consumers demand automotive technology for their boats. There’s no reason to shy away from this concept, if you own a BMW, Corvette, Mercedes, Cadillac, Lincoln or Porsche, your vehicle may have the same type of technology.
    SmartCraft DTS has three primary objectives:
    1. Reducing the hassle of boating through effortless throttle and shift.
    2. Improving the level of integration and ease of installation at the factory.
    3. Safety
    With these three objectives in mind, Mercury engineers set out to develop a world-class system that would provide “designed in” technology to enhance the boating experience. Mercury has had scores of seasoned and novice boaters try this new system. The feedback has been consistent: “The smoothness is remarkable” and “When can I get it on my boat?”.
    How can that be? The digital electronics package operates on a double- and sometimes triple-redundant network and uses the PCM 555+ as the backbone of the operation. Mercury also used automotive standards to validate the system. We’ve invested in excess of 30,000 on-water test hours to validate and provide the most solid system on the market. No ‘bolt-on’ system can even offer a fraction of that investment.
    The DTS system also incorporates high tech cables and connectors that are triple o-ring sealed for maximum protection against corrosion. As a part of SmartCraft, DTS is also part of the plug-n-play network. The results are impressive.
    What’s the difference between cable-driven and DTS systems? Smoother, faster shifting and accelerating boats. In a cable-driven system, there is significant resistance to shifting. As the system ages, even more resistance occurs. With DTS, the resistance is adjustable to the operator’s preference. So are the detents. Shifting is effortless because the system does the shifting for you. No more gear grinding and no more hard ‘clunks’ as the system shifts in 0.3 seconds. The throttle response is smooth and dialed-in to optimum performance that meets all of our stringent requirements. In fact, the electronic throttle body is the marine version of one used on over 1,000,000 vehicles in Europe. Once you’ve driven a vessel with DTS, going back to mechanical systems is less than pleasurable.
    Of course, there are many more standard features with DTS. On sterndrive/inboard models, a digital steering sensor that indicates the position of the drive/rudder is standard. Additionally, all DTS systems come with “SmartStart”. Simply turn the key briefly or hit the start pushbutton and the system does the rest – it literally starts itself. No more ruined starters by turning the key when the engine is running.
    All DTS systems use the Engine Guardian function to protect the engine and drive. With DTS, the drive can’t be engaged until the engine slows down enough to allow it to do so. In a panic situation at high RPM, the driver can pull the system into the opposite gear, causing the engine to slow down to a point where the drive can be engaged, thus stopping the vessel faster than conventional systems. Today if you shift a drive at a high RPM, the drive will more than likely be destroyed or the engine will suffer severe damage. The DTS system can save hardware, drives and lives.

Sotally Tober
    I believe it is going to be only on the 496 line originally. Its called "DTS"
    Hopefully there isn't any glithes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast