Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercurys, no cable, 'Fly-By'Wire" digital shifter/throttle control:

Beer-30
    http://www.mercurymarine.com/uploads...ottleShift.jpg
    http://www.mercurymarine.com/uploads/203/DTS_2003.gif
    In 2003, Mercury quietly launched its Digital Throttle and Shift system (DTS) for the 225 OptiMax outboards, MerCruiser 496 MAG High Output and 496 MAG sterndrives, and MerCruiser 8.1S High Output and 8.1S Horizon inboards. Its arrival is inevitable as more consumers demand automotive technology for their boats. There’s no reason to shy away from this concept, if you own a BMW, Corvette, Mercedes, Cadillac, Lincoln or Porsche, your vehicle may have the same type of technology.
    SmartCraft DTS has three primary objectives:
    1. Reducing the hassle of boating through effortless throttle and shift.
    2. Improving the level of integration and ease of installation at the factory.
    3. Safety
    With these three objectives in mind, Mercury engineers set out to develop a world-class system that would provide “designed in” technology to enhance the boating experience. Mercury has had scores of seasoned and novice boaters try this new system. The feedback has been consistent: “The smoothness is remarkable” and “When can I get it on my boat?”.
    How can that be? The digital electronics package operates on a double- and sometimes triple-redundant network and uses the PCM 555+ as the backbone of the operation. Mercury also used automotive standards to validate the system. We’ve invested in excess of 30,000 on-water test hours to validate and provide the most solid system on the market. No ‘bolt-on’ system can even offer a fraction of that investment.
    The DTS system also incorporates high tech cables and connectors that are triple o-ring sealed for maximum protection against corrosion. As a part of SmartCraft, DTS is also part of the plug-n-play network. The results are impressive.
    What’s the difference between cable-driven and DTS systems? Smoother, faster shifting and accelerating boats. In a cable-driven system, there is significant resistance to shifting. As the system ages, even more resistance occurs. With DTS, the resistance is adjustable to the operator’s preference. So are the detents. Shifting is effortless because the system does the shifting for you. No more gear grinding and no more hard ‘clunks’ as the system shifts in 0.3 seconds. The throttle response is smooth and dialed-in to optimum performance that meets all of our stringent requirements. In fact, the electronic throttle body is the marine version of one used on over 1,000,000 vehicles in Europe. Once you’ve driven a vessel with DTS, going back to mechanical systems is less than pleasurable.
    Of course, there are many more standard features with DTS. On sterndrive/inboard models, a digital steering sensor that indicates the position of the drive/rudder is standard. Additionally, all DTS systems come with “SmartStart”. Simply turn the key briefly or hit the start pushbutton and the system does the rest – it literally starts itself. No more ruined starters by turning the key when the engine is running.
    All DTS systems use the Engine Guardian function to protect the engine and drive. With DTS, the drive can’t be engaged until the engine slows down enough to allow it to do so. In a panic situation at high RPM, the driver can pull the system into the opposite gear, causing the engine to slow down to a point where the drive can be engaged, thus stopping the vessel faster than conventional systems. Today if you shift a drive at a high RPM, the drive will more than likely be destroyed or the engine will suffer severe damage. The DTS system can save hardware, drives and lives.
    For more information on DTS, contact your local Mercury dealer.
    Key Features
    The Digital Throttle and Shift (DTS) System represents nothing less than a breakthrough in marine technology. A breakthrough which - like the entire SmartCraft System - has a parallel in the cars on the road today.
    The SmartCraft Digital Throttle & Shift (DTS) System brings precision to engine throttle & shift.
    The DTS system eliminates the more abrupt, imprecise shifting so common among purely mechanical systems - and brings digital precision to the shifting process resulting in extremely smooth, precise and responsive throttle control.
    The DTS system does not rely on the bulky mechanics of traditional systems so there's no kinking of the cables - and no cable adjustments are needed.
    Mercury DTS is designed to be MORE reliable than the systems that we've grown accustomed to all these years. In fact, it's been tested over 27,000 hours - which makes it one of the most robust shifting systems available anywhere.
    Features & Benefits
    SmartCraft has been put to the test. Tested over 27,000 hours.
    Triple O-ring sealed connections for the ultimate in robustness.
    Around the world Mercury has more than 60 years of proven performance, service and support.
    With distribution locations across the globe you can get genuine Mercury precision replacement parts faster than anyone else.
    No other engine manufacturer supports you with as many trained service technicians as Mercury.
    A long history of expert field personnel get our products ready for proper application.
    Today's Mercury engines are the products of more than 60 years of design, research and refinement done in the world's harshest environments.
    We've developed the industry's highest standards, resulting in what are now considered "built-in" features applied to everything from "common" to the most "unique" applications.
    Easily expandable, SmartCraft products can be added to any existing SmartCraft monitor package with its "plug and play" design.
    Easy/quick assembly for the ultimate in portability and convenience.
    Reduced rigging time.
    Ease of system calibration.
    Ease of use.

Marty Gras
    "DTS" is a very nice system when everything is working correctly! The guy who said, "it's not yet available", is about 1 1/2 years out of touch. I have worked on "LEO" and "private" boats with the "DTS" systems, along with "Smart Craft". I feel that WE are doing the 'long term' testing on these products, for Mercury. When they are TOTALLY perfected, they will be very nice for boat owners and service people alike. As smooth as the shifting is with "DTS", I will not rig any boats that are not 100% Merc with it. In other words, if I build a 'custom motor' regardless of it's accessories, I will still use the "good old cables" for controls. I feel the system is (as of today) not stablized enough for general use.

Forkin' Crazy
    IMO it's a bad idea. I wonder how much a throttle servo will cost? :220v:
    And it's not like a car. When is there salt spray and 6' seas in the highway?
    I could imagine being 100 miles out and a throttle or shift servo goes out... or wiring, or the brain.
    What happened to K.I.S.S.? :220v:
    Oh and don't route that coax cable for the marine radio too close! :220v: :220v: :220v:

HCS
    IMO it's a bad idea. I wonder how much a throttle servo will cost? :220v:
    And it's not like a car. When is there salt spray and 6' seas in the highway?
    I could imagine being 100 miles out and a throttle or shift servo goes out... or wiring, or the brain.
    What happened to K.I.S.S.? :220v:
    Oh and don't route that coax cable for the marine radio too close! :220v: :220v: :220v:
    I'm with ya....It's electrical failure and your dead.
    It will all happen.........don't ask me for a tow. :rollside: j/k
    Boats for most part are not used all the time and left in storage.
    I don't know how the electronics will hold up.
    Besides you won't even know how to fix your boat, you'll have to take it to the dealer.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Beer-30
    It would basically be the whole electronic throttle body from the GM pickups. I don't think you could retro-fit onto a standard cable throttle body.

Forkin' Crazy
    I read some where that they were experimenting doing the same thing to steering?
    I had a friend that flew Cobras in Vietnam. He said it had an electronic stability system... They put a new radio in it and ran the coax to close to the stability control's wiring harness. He said it would want to do a roll when you keyed up on the mic. Just what you don't want when landing... or docking. :220v:

HCS
    Naaa...I need to feel the controls. That's what it's all about!!!

axkiker
    well if you dont like the fly by wire idea then dont fly commercially. all of the airliners use this technology. its like anything else, it will need to be perfected.

blackcloud75
    Drive by wire in boats. Hmmm...good idea.
    As long as it's reliable.
    Hasn't it been use in the aircraft industry for a while????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast