Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoop on closed Lake Mohave area b/t Dam & Willow Beach

K9Blitz
    I've got an upcoming Mohave trip and want to partake in a Dam run on Monday possibly Tuesday. I remember something about the area past Willow Beach being closed to motorized boats at the beginning of the week.
    Does anyone have any scoop if this is still the case, why, and if anyone has ever been stopped by the water-cops for violating the "no float zone."

Chubby4Life
    I've got an upcoming Mohave trip and want to partake in a Dam run on Monday possibly Tuesday. I remember something about the area past Willow Beach being closed to motorized boats at the beginning of the week.
    Does anyone have any scoop if this is still the case, why, and if anyone has ever been stopped by the water-cops for violating the "no float zone."
    Don't bother, it's closed above Willow Beach untill Memorial Day. It's a great ride up to Willow though.

jag2
    closed north of willow sunday-monday. Im not for sure, but I think its to give paddlers a nice smooth no noise day :220v:

Ultracrazy
    Hmmmmm.........maybe we should just bring more beer and float :boxed:

JetBoatRich
    They close it to boaters after Labor Day open it back up after Memorial day

K9Blitz
    I called the ranger station and they told me the area between Willow Beach and Hoover Dam is off limits to motorized boats every Sunday & Monday throughout the year.
    During the summer, between Memorial Day and Labor Day, there are no restrictions on motorized boats Tuesday thru Saturday.
    During Fall/Winter/Spring, between Labor Day and Memorial Day, only motorized boats 65hp and below are allowed in that area Tuesday thru Saturday.
    They said it was to allow the rowing public access to the area without getting toppled by 496HO driven wake and to limit the ecological impact of the big boats.
    I don't know how this is enforced or what, if any, the fine would be. Any input?

DILLIGAF
    I don't know how this is enforced or what, if any, the fine would be. Any input?
    They chase you down and at least ticket you. I have no idea what the fine is though. Isn't that enough of a deterrent for you?

JetBoatRich
    You can try and out run them up river they will just wait for ou to come back

Trash
    I believe the policy has changed somewhat over the last year or so. The signs (which used to mention the 65 hp caveat) are no longer posted. It now reads no power boats Sunday/Monday year round, and all others are allowed Tues-Sat all year. The winter season restriction was not posted as it had been previously.
    I wonder if the ranger K9 talked to is correct or the signs are correct?

K9Blitz
    They had to put that restriction because the giant wake created by Dilligaf's tanker boat wiped out the shoreline ecosystem! If he would just stick to picking up chicks at Davis Dam....
    Boatcop gave me some scoop. The restrictions are the result of a lengthy battle between powerboaters, the rowing public, and environmentalists. The HP restriction is mostly in place to let the marine life/environment/hatchery have a designated recovery period. Boatcop metioned the ticket or fine is a misdemeanor.
    I cannot remember what is posted at Willow, but I'll try and put my beer down long enough to get a pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast