Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block off Y Pipe when putting on thru hull exhaust

Speed955
    I will putting thru hull exhaust on my boat this Friday. I have read old posts on this forum that say you should block off the Y pipe. Is this necessary? What will happen if you just leave it there disconnected? I would like to keep it as I plan on putting on a captains call when I change the exhast manifolds to aluminum.
    Thanks

Daytona100
    I would block it off with the plate available. In boating you either do it right or dont do it at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
    If the bellows crack, you could start taking on water.

Speed955
    I would block it off with the plate available. In boating you either do it right or dont do it at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks, I plan on doing it right, that's why I am asking. This is my first stern drive I and I want to do things right. In doing things right though I want to know why I am doing it? I have only had jets in the past and other than my pop's OMC's not much experience with them.

Havasu47
    You can cap it off with a rubber cap and clamp, but it usually is in the way of the thru hull you are installing, unless you put the tips in the correct location for captains call. Water will fill the y pipe to the level of the lake water so do not leave them open. You sill have to pull the motor to remove the y pipe and install the block off plate.

Speed955
    You can cap it off with a rubber cap and clamp, but it usually is in the way of the thru hull you are installing, unless you put the tips in the correct location for captains call. Water will fill the y pipe to the level of the lake water so do not leave them open. You sill have to pull the motor to remove the y pipe and install the block off plate.
    That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thank you. Is there a company that make caps for the Y pipes until my captain call's get here?
    Thank again!

TilliamWe
    I know it sounds redneck, but we cut an inner tube from a truck tire, and double clamped it over the ends of the Y pipe. That way it didn't stick up in the way, and it was easy to remove, if we had ever decide to install Captain's Call or Silent Choice.. It held up for 4 years that way, even when backing up.
    You do have to block it off and correctly, a boat here in Peoria nearly sank when the owner didn't get the block off plates installed correctly!

Speed955
    I know it sounds redneck, but we cut an inner tube from a truck tire, and double clamped it over the ends of the Y pipe. That way it didn't stick up in the way, and it was easy to remove, if we had ever decide to install Captain's Call or Silent Choice.. It held up for 4 years that way, even when backing up.
    You do have to block it off and correctly, a boat here in Peoria nearly sank when the owner didn't get the block off plates installed correctly!
    Well I must be a redneck then, because I was thinking of someting like that. It only needs to be on there for a week until my cap'n calls get here. I am just impatient and want to install my thru hulls AND take it out Saturday to hear it (without sinking it)

CB-BLR
    You can get the correct diameter rubber block off's at any hardware store. They are used for pressure testing sewer pipes in a house. They come with the correct sized hose clamp. Available at Lowes or Home Depot.
    Works great.
    Chris

TilliamWe
    :idea: Thanks CB-BLR, you learn something new every day! But, where were you 18 years ago, when we needed you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast