Thread: Trim/Trailer switches; difference?

Beer-30
    I haven't really noticed any difference between the two switches.
    I can go all the way up/down with either, and the movement speed seems the same. Is there any actual difference other than convenient placement of trim switch on the throttle? I heard someone once say that the trim switch operates the trim at a slower speed for fine tuning. The pump sounds the same to me either way. Watching my trim gauge with either switch appears to move a the same speed.
    The Merc manual tells everything about the trim system, but does not touch on the difference.
    Just curious.

h2oski2fast
    No speed difference. The only difference if hooked up correctly would be, the trim on the shifter would be limited, so you can't over trim the boat at speed and put added strain on the u-joints. Thr trim on the dash would be for "trailer trim", this allows the drive to go higher for trailering.
    Some OBs have have 2 speeds when trimming, one for running which is slower for smaller trim increments, but once it reaches a certain height it is faster for "trailer trim".

Beer-30
    Thanks. I will double check, but I am pretty sure I can go all the way up with either switch. I know the trim will take it down from full up, and I believe I have taken it all the way up, also.

h2oski2fast
    Thanks. I will double check, but I am pretty sure I can go all the way up with either switch. I know the trim will take it down from full up, and I believe I have taken it all the way up, also.
    If it's wired with an aftermarket which, such as Gaffrigs, then either switch will run it all the way up, and the same speed. If it has factory Merc controls and uses the factory (electronic) trim sensor it will have limiter on the throttle trim switch.

Beer-30
    Ah ha. Gaffrig it is. Thanks again.

BadKachina
    Ah ha. Gaffrig it is. Thanks again.
    You can use an aftermarket shifter and a trailer button as long as you have a trim limit switch on your drive. If you have the hd gimbal with mechanical actuators (instead of a trim gauge) than you may not have the trim limit switch. If you have the trim limit switch on your drive then it can be wired to work with the switch on your handle.

Beer-30
    Thanks again.
    No, it doesn't matter to me whether the switches were actually different or not. The subject ended up in a debate. I had not seen any difference with either switch. Another party said their drive moved slower with the trim switch. I begged to differ. I looked in the manual and it didn't say a thing about it. So, I threw it out here to quell my curiosity.
    I appreciate the info guys.