Thread: Changing Gimble Ring

Run_em_Hard
    Do you have to pull the motor to change the gimble ring??? A shop told me that you either have to pull the motor or drill a hole???

502schiada
    You dont have to pull the motor to change the ring, just unhook the steering bar on the inside of the boat , and there should be two allen plugs at the top of the drive on the outside that you take out and you can get to the bolt that holds the shaft in, thats how my TRS is. You might need a puller to get the shaft out though. The gimble housing you will have to take out the motor though. I started to take mine apart, but found too many broken parts so its getting a whole new gimble setup at the shop. :rollside:

Havasu47
    You dont have to pull the motor to change the ring, just unhook the steering bar on the inside of the boat , and there should be two allen plugs at the top of the drive on the outside that you take out and you can get to the bolt that holds the shaft in, thats how my TRS is. You might need a puller to get the shaft out though. The gimble housing you will have to take out the motor though. I started to take mine apart, but found too many broken parts so its getting a whole new gimble setup at the shop. :rollside:
    Wow... too much info not applicable to the his question! The two allen plugs he is referring to were put in to access the pinch bolt on the steering arm to tighten it. On your Bravo, besides the pinch bolt, there is a large nut on top of the steering pin that 99% of the time can not be accessed with out pulling the engine and gimbal. There was a thread about this in the sandbar just a week or two ago. Do a search.

502schiada
    Wow... too much info not applicable to the his question! The two allen plugs he is referring to were put in to access the pinch bolt on the steering arm to tighten it. On your Bravo, besides the pinch bolt, there is a large nut on top of the steering pin that 99% of the time can not be accessed with out pulling the engine and gimbal. There was a thread about this in the sandbar just a week or two ago. Do a search.
    If thats what you think!

Havasu47
    If thats what you think!
    It's what I do for a living!

Run_em_Hard
    Thanks guys. I am going to pull my motor to change my coupler so I wanted to make sure so I could do all I can in one swoop.