Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmision man needed

dtr352
    I have a 97 gmc K1500 with a six inch lift on 35's. I need to find someone that can rebiuld the transmision for a good price. I was quoted 1500-2500 for a stock rebuild. This seems a little high to me, and I was hoping to possably upgrade the clutches and whatever else to help with towing. Is this a good price for the stock rebuild? If anyone has anybody has a recomendation of where to take it or what I should expect to pay I would really appreciate it. Oh yeah, it's an automatic, (4L60E I believe).

RICHARD TILL
    look in a salvage yard for one out of a wrecked vehicle. that should be an easy one to find. they go for $400-600 here in mississippi and $150 labor to install. about $900 for a rebuild.

Flashover
    i had a 91 with the same size lift and tires, My tranny went out becouse they installed the wrong gears in the rear end and when i shifted into 4 wheel it bound up the tranny. Anyway i had it rebuilt here in Utah for $1,300 but that was beefing it up a bit and adding a tranny cooler. Good Luck.. :clover:

victorfb
    2 or 4 wheel drive? i may be able to help you upgrade. i have a 4L80E with tranfer case out of my 91 dually im parting out. basically the entire running gear still with 4.56 gears front and back. meaning i have all the drive sharfts and all. something you may want to think about. by the way, the tranny i bought brand new from GM (not rebuilt) and put maybe 5k on it till i bought the new truck.

RICHARD TILL
    what is that transmisson doing wrong? slipping? not shifting? etc.......

dtr352
    what is that transmisson doing wrong? slipping? not shifting? etc.......
    Once the transmision is warm it shifts hard between 1st and 2nd. The check engine light came on with code P1870 transmision component slipping. I was hoping to have the trans upgraded slightly while it was out but now I am not sure since one local shop wants 15-2500 just for a stock rebuild.

goneboatin
    Check with your local GM dealerships to see what kind of price of they have on a remanufactured trans. They come with a 3 year / 50,000 mile warranty. I had one put in my '91 truck in '97 for $1200 plus install.
    I know Reynolds GMC in Covina and Thorson GMC have the good-guy pricing on those items.
    Good luck.

meaniam
    Once the transmision is warm it shifts hard between 1st and 2nd. The check engine light came on with code P1870 transmision component slipping. I was hoping to have the trans upgraded slightly while it was out but now I am not sure since one local shop wants 15-2500 just for a stock rebuild.
    1500 dont sound to bad does that include the toruqe convertor..i will ask my trans guy if he has any room.he is bitchin but super busy

dtr352
    Thanks for all the help. I was checking out ebay and found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XSTRE...3727QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem It has better parts with an equal warranty. And its cheaper.

Party Cat
    I have a 97 gmc K1500 with a six inch lift on 35's. I need to find someone that can rebiuld the transmision for a good price. I was quoted 1500-2500 for a stock rebuild. This seems a little high to me, and I was hoping to possably upgrade the clutches and whatever else to help with towing. Is this a good price for the stock rebuild? If anyone has anybody has a recomendation of where to take it or what I should expect to pay I would really appreciate it. Oh yeah, it's an automatic, (4L60E I believe).
    A little bit of a drive...but I've had my 4L60E's in my Z28 and 97 Suburban done by 'The Toy Shop' in Pomona...ask for Mike...
    1292 E 3rd Street
    Pomona, CA 91766
    (909) 620-5849

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast