Thread: Bravo Drive Differences

V-DRV
    Does any one know where there is good info on differences in all the available Bravo drives? Like torque and horsepower capacity and why they are different?
    Thanks

Run_em_Hard
    I don't know alot but here is what I think I know... I believe the XR is rated somewhere around 600 hp. Which has sraight cut splines. I have been running a bravo for a couple years now with a blown 509 with no problems. It all depends on how you drive it. I think that the Bravo X is basically just the plain old Bravo in a new case. Search the web a little and I am sure you could find some sort of spec sheet.

DMOORE
    Do a search for the BAM website. They sell parts for drives and have a good section explaining all the different drives. Also lists problem areas.
    Darrell.

Mr. V-Driver
    Mike at Teague Marine 661-295-7000 has Heavy Duty upgrades for those and should be able to tell ya all the info you need to know. They build big power plants and duel drives and use really, really, good stuff!!! Gee, I wonder who makes it???
    Other makers besides Teague are Imco, Konrad's, Max machine worx and I think that's about it.
    Good Luck, hope this info. helps!!!

TIMINATOR
    I run a B-Max with a bunch of HP. PM or call me for the details. Mama said if you can't say anything nice...... TIMINATOR

Mr. V-Driver
    I understand that the transmission takes care of the top of the unit like a whirlaway if something breaks or motor locks, but what if the bottom of the unit breaks(lower gears to prop). What will happen??? Does the prop free spin??? Will bigger boats flip like a flatty or drag hydro??? And what happens on duel drives if one stops, does it make a quick left or right turn???
    All these questions lead to,....Is a whirlaway really needed for sterndrive boats???
    Any answers greatly appreciated!!!

DMOORE
    Every time I have seen a motor shut down or drive fail in a bigger boat, they just stop. No drama at all. When we used to run off shore boats in the SEAL teams,( 41 Fountains, 40 USMI's) I've seen plenty of number 6 drives fail at high speed and not a single case of drama. In fact what we would attach a Spectra tow line ,and with a tow from the lead boat, we could get the second boat back on step with one motor. Now if you hit something and the drive broke off, that would be a different story.
    Darrell.

Havasu47
    I understand that the transmission takes care of the top of the unit like a whirlaway if something breaks or motor locks, but what if the bottom of the unit breaks(lower gears to prop). What will happen??? Does the prop free spin??? Will bigger boats flip like a flatty or drag hydro??? And what happens on duel drives if one stops, does it make a quick left or right turn???
    All these questions lead to,....Is a whirlaway really needed for sterndrive boats???
    Any answers greatly appreciated!!!
    There is no transmission with a Bravo drive. There is a cone clutch in the upper that shifts between forward and reverse gears.