Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery and charging system

stump
    Have any of you had battery problems?My boat is eating battery's i mean 6 battery's so far i just put an optima blue top in yesterday ,took boat out this afternoon and after a blast up the river boat started missing battery dead as it can be ,got towed in ,same thing happened last sunday battery dead .wont take a charge ,it's like the damn things are shorting out internally.charging system checks out ,could it be vibration? 7 batterys in 2 months they are warranty but this one i put in yesterday the optima gel battery i figgured would hold up it lasted the shortest.do i need some kind of foam box to put these things in ?

Itsahobby
    Is something draining it while setting?
    When you connect the battery, does it arc?
    That would be a sign you are drawing power
    with the key off.
    Itsahobby

DUCKY
    It sounds like you are pumping way to much current into that thing, and boiling the batteries. But it could be a drain sucking it so dry that you are ruining them. Pull the ground cable, and hookup your test light from the cable to the neg. post with every thing in the boat off If it lights up, you are drawing current. Then start pulling wires from your junction block, or fuses to chase it down to the single faulty circuit. Also, check the voltage at the battery with the engine running, It should be no more than 14.5 volts.

Itsahobby
    Stump,
    Did you get this figured out?
    Curious,
    Itsahobby

fastvdriver
    I agree with ducky I would also go with a dry cell battery like a Hawker battery (same battery that they put in to the harleys) I have run a PC 1700 odyssey for the past 5 years in a flat no issues you must have something else going on to kill that many batterys.

Ratacole
    I had the same problem on my boat & never could figure it out. Now I have a Wal-Mart battery with no chargeing system & no problems, same battery going on three years. That cheap battery will last three days of boating easy. The night before I am going out I put it on the charger. Just my .02
    Mike

stump
    It was the optima battery it internally shorted out.Just like the last ones did. The new one is supposed to be in today but i wont have time to try it out for a while .Trying to get the last minute shit ready for my wedding on the 26th and bike trip to sturgis and colorado 2 1/2 week honeymoon motorcycle road trip.

Itsahobby
    I would like to say I am sorry for you
    If you need some help, I will take your bike
    to sturgis
    Hobby
    stump:
    It was the optima battery it internally shorted out.Just like the last ones did. The new one is supposed to be in today but i wont have time to try it out for a while .Trying to get the last minute shit ready for my wedding on the 26th and bike trip to sturgis and colorado 2 1/2 week honeymoon motorcycle road trip.

Boatmike
    If you have an alternator on it chuck it. Use a charger at 2amps no problems like that!

VD CRUISER
    I have seen the battery box tops tightened down too much and crush the battery and short it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast