Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: IHBA RULE CHANGE: Bilge Pumps Required

poncho-pwr
    It sure does look like it was full of water in the back, and if you watch real closely after it stands up just past vertical it looks like a lot of water falls out of the rear of the boat. It might just be spray or something else though.

bp
    Funny you should mention this because I have been wondering:
    Did any of you guys watch Plumb Crazy flip over at the start at the Nitro Nationals last spring? it sure as hell looks to me as though the back of the boat is filled and about to sink, sponsons pointing to the sky. And so maybe Kutz couldn't blow the tail and the boat just flipped right over? (Is this what happened? Don't know if he/they figured it out.)
    LO
    they had been doing giant wheelstands for about a year before that happened, so it's difficult to say. they had the boat sink on the rope at the world finals last year too, so that's another one in addition to greg. capsule guys don't see the water, and don't know if it's sinking before it's way too late. non-capsuled boats can see the water, but without a bilge pump, there's not too much you can do except let go of the rope and start screaming.
    "we" forgot to install the center sponson plug once, about 5 years ago. as i pulled out on the rope, i noticed my right foot was getting wet. let go of the rope, turned on all 3 pumps (1100 and 2 500s), and the thing looked like a fire boat the way the pumps were shooting water about 6' in the air. they actually kept up. ski came over, towed me to the bank, we got the plug in it, pumps pumped it down by the time i was back out there. won the race. i'll always run 'em, 'cause you just never know....

stoker2001
    For what its worth i talked to tiffany at IHBA today and she said if it is not announced on the IHBARACING site then dont worry about it as she said any rule changes will come after WFs.I think it is a good idea on some boats,as for the pisspot with its high sides it can take a Queen Mary wake and stay dry and has seen its fair share of monsoons at Lake havasu and lived to tell about it :crossx:

bp
    it would be really cool if tiffany was the tech inspector

UBFJ #454
    It wouldn't suprise me too very much if 'Something' is on the IHBA WebSite before too awfully long.
    If not, you can take your chances with 'Maniac Mike' @ Tech.

pce680
    It wouldn't suprise me too very much if 'Something' is on the IHBA WebSite before too awfully long.
    If not, you can take your chances with 'Maniac Mike' @ Tech.
    We had enough in San Diego !!!

UBFJ #454
    Just Posted on the IHBA WebSite ... In the 'Press Release' Section:
    September 26, 2006
    re: bilge pumps
    Bilge pumps will be mandatory beginning in 2007. However, it is VERY strongly recommended that every boat has one at the 06 World Finals.
    Bilge pumps will be checked for and noted at tech at World Finals.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345