Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMC tilt/trim problem

gfunk3546
    hey everyone i have a 3.8L GM OMC stern drive. this is my first boat and i'm new to the whole world of boating. i was going to go last saturday so friday night i went out and started her up and everything was fine. shut her off and the tilt and trim went out. i messed around with a bunch of stuff ordered a new tilt trim motor installed it and still nothing. i can't get the outdrive up so i can even tow it to someone who knows something about boats. any ideas? suggestions? sink it maybe?

Cole Sanger
    Does it make any noise when you push the up/down button? If not, could be as simple as a fuse. Were you having any problems with the trim before this trip? Moving slowly, or making any funny noises?

DMOORE
    Cole had a good point. Make sure you are getting power to the pump. Use a test light at the pump, if no power, check for a blown fuse or tripped breaker. If fuse and breakers are also good, check for power at the switch with the test light. If pump is working Make sure the fluid level is good and you bleed it properly,(usually by running it up and down a couple of times). If all else fails and you can't figure it out, you can unbolt one end of the hyd cylinders and use a heavy duty tie down connected to the rear D rings to hold the drive up in order to take it to a shop. Let us know what you find out.
    Darrell.

Kim Hanson
    If the pump hums, it is just starving for fluid..lift the leg up with whatever you can and fill the reservoir, move it up and down and fill till full...done deal...( . )( . ).............

HocusPocus
    i had a problem like that on an omc i had.. turned out the hydraulic rams were bad and fluid was being pushed out. i think it was about $60 bucks each to have them rebuilt.

Outnumbered
    Start simple. I had this happn a few times on my 1987 King Cobra. Turns out it was a plug going to the trim solenoid. Also check the big-ass plug that is in-line in the wire harness near the shifter control module dealio (in the engine compartment). It gets exposed to moisture and connection issues are common. Looks like two 7-pin round trailer plugs butted together with a metal retainer to keep it together. Remove the reatainer, pull it apart, and clean the connections. There are a few other smaller similar connections back there also and some in-line fuses that should be checked as mentioned above.

Outnumbered
    Track the wire from the harness back to the trim solenoid and look carefully at it. It looks like this (depending on the year):
    http://www.sterndrive.info/sitebuild...0-Solenoid.jpg
    Use a volt meter to check for power at the solenoid when you have a buddy push the trim switch.

gfunk3546
    i have done most of the things you all have mentioned. the fuses are good, i replaced them just because they looked old. there is clicking and the trim motor does humm. i bet it is thirsty for some fluid. i'll try that when i get a chance. thanks to all.

Classic Daycruiser
    There are sensors that do not allow the drive to come up once they reach there limit. They are tied to the trim indicator gauge. If your trim indicator is not working, chances are this sensors are bad and do not close the circuit to run the drive up or down.
    There are two relays. one relay is used to open and close the drive tilt sensor position circuit, and the other relay is used to open and close the circuit when the trim up/down switch is pressed. Make sure you have a good battery, and using a wire, jumper over the relays while a friend presses the up/down trim switch.
    I've also seen electric motors fail, but not to often, since they are marine grade motors and see little use to wear out the brushes.

Havasu47
    First of all what year is this? Older OMC's do not have hydraulic trim. They use a trim motor that drives a gear system. He mentioned he bought a new trim motor which makes me think it is the older type. If this is the case unbolt the half moon shaped gear on the outside of the boat, lift the drive, tie it up, and you can take it to a shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast