Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Duramax

LUVNLIFE
    Today I went out to warm the truck up for the wife, started it and before I could walk back in the house it shut off. Went to try and restart but no go. I have a diesel background and it sounded like no fuel. I bled the air, reprimed, and it fired right off with no reaccuring problem. Anyone else experiance this prob?. Thanks, Cale.

Outnumbered
    Today I went out to warm the truck up for the wife, started it and before I could walk back in the house it shut off. Went to try and restart but no go. I have a diesel background and it sounded like no fuel. I bled the air, reprimed, and it fired right off with no reaccuring problem. Anyone else experiance this prob?. Thanks, Cale.
    Check the fuel filter? Mabey you got some bad fuel and its all clogged up. This happened to me in a Chevy efi gasser I had. The lesson I learned from the tech at the dealer is never to fuel up while they are filling the gas station tanks. I guess it stirs up the shit in the tanks and makes it more likely to get some bad fuel.

LUVNLIFE
    Yes, I'm going to change the filter today. Funny thing is that the truck has been started prob seven times since it lost it's prime and the problem hasn't repeated itself. That includes sitting overnight. I don't think it was a clogged filter even though I'm going to replace it. The problem seems more like the pump lost it's prime.

Just Tool'n
    A friend of mine bought his Duramax in 2003, first weekend he goes out on Sunday to start it up, it wont light. Tries sevral things, nothing works.
    Tows it to his own shop on Monday, calls and talks to Ted Faggart about it, he puts his lead tech on the phone. Tech asks him how much did the fuel gauge show. To which he states just under a quarter of a tank. Then the tech asks about the angle of his driveway, to which my friend states it got a pretty good angle to it.
    He instructs him how to bleed the air & prime it again, it fires right up on even ground.
    The tech states that the fuel pickup on the tank is in the front of the tank.
    and that on steep angle with low fuel can cause this.
    Never had a problem since, & he always makes sure he either parks it in the garage now, which is flat, or he has enough diesel in it to be above a quater of a tank, if he parks in the driveway.
    Hope this helps.

onetallhd
    I have a 02' duramax and I had a similiar problem. When I first got the truck same thing it lost prime a couple of times and wouldn't start. My friend is the service manager and when I took it in for service they replaced the fuel filter. It has never happened since even after 8 fuel filter changes since the truck was new. Maybe you just have a bad fuel filter like I did?My .02 Good Luck

LUVNLIFE
    A friend of mine bought his Duramax in 2003, first weekend he goes out on Sunday to start it up, it wont light. Tries sevral things, nothing works.
    Tows it to his own shop on Monday, calls and talks to Ted Faggart about it, he puts his lead tech on the phone. Tech asks him how much did the fuel gauge show. To which he states just under a quarter of a tank. Then the tech asks about the angle of his driveway, to which my friend states it got a pretty good angle to it.
    He instructs him how to bleed the air & prime it again, it fires right up on even ground.
    The tech states that the fuel pickup on the tank is in the front of the tank.
    and that on steep angle with low fuel can cause this.
    Never had a problem since, & he always makes sure he either parks it in the garage now, which is flat, or he has enough diesel in it to be above a quater of a tank, if he parks in the driveway.
    Hope this helps.
    This makes sense to what happened. The truck was under a quarter and headed in up an angled driveway.

Kachina26
    We've had a few that leak fuel around the primer pump. Check for a little fuel around the pump, many times you can smell the fuel when you pop the hood. Good thing is it's probably still under warranty. Many items on the diesel carry a longer warranty. Let me know what you find.

H20 Toie
    My Dodge did the same thing the fuel filter was loose

LUVNLIFE
    We've had a few that leak fuel around the primer pump. Check for a little fuel around the pump, many times you can smell the fuel when you pop the hood. Good thing is it's probably still under warranty. Many items on the diesel carry a longer warranty. Let me know what you find.
    No fuel smell and it wasn't wet anywhere. Hopefully an isolated incedent. It's my wifes daily driver and I don't think she would be happy having to reprime it to start it every time.

LUVNLIFE
    My Dodge did the same thing the fuel filter was loose
    Filter is tight Dan. That was one of the first things I checked. Strange deal as it hasn't had a prob since.
    Thanks for everyones help and keep it coming if you have had this prob. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast