Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Evinrude V8

Tom Brown
    That would be a problem, the guy told me that he had it sent out to a guy in Texas that went nuts on it. According to it's current owner; "It has over 400hp will do 120mph with ease.".....I have no idea about the truth of that statement for the record.
    120 with ease? I'd bet Knuckle head $500 that's total bullshit.
    Gee... too bad it's not running so you could confirm his claims. Have you looked at his receipts and dyno sheets?
    I will say, however, those guys in Texas do good work. I sent my Chrysler 140 there. The guy modified it to put out 350 hp at the prop and my boat will do 140 mph with little problem. The engine was dynoed but I lost the dyno sheet... I didn't think it was important. I also didn't save the bill and I don't remember the guy's name so I can't help anyone get in contact. This really is a great engine. I want $9000 for it. You should dump that OMC V8 and put this Chrysler on. It will easily double your performance.
    .I have no idea about the truth of that statement for the record. It does need a new output shaft cause he hit something with the stainless prop, an easy fix according to him. (is it?)
    You should get him to fix it, since it's easy.
    But I really don't want to pay that much for a boat that is already broken and I'll immediately have to go on a scavenger hunt to find parts...not my idea of a wise investment.
    The prop shaft might not be too hard to find. That looks like a V6 gear case to me but I'm the furthest thing from an OMC expert.
    I'd rather spend it on the jet boat I mentioned above, at least I will know something about the car motor in it and jet drive's are one of the most simple things on earth.
    That jetboat is as complex as a menstruating woman, compared to an outboard. Nothing is as simple as an outboard.
    By the way, I think a Merc 3.0 would be a better choice for that hull than a Merc 2.5. .... just an opinion.

HavasuDreamin'
    The 21' Daytona with V-8 power was a popular set up in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. They are good boats and a lot of fun. You have had some good advice though. I have been told by several people that there are a few main problems with them....they suck fuel like no other, their gearcases are week and blow easily, they won't turn many rpm's, and parts are harder to come by.
    I think if you leave it stock, have the bearing carrier pinned, make use of the torque and don't try to spin it more RPM's than it is capable of, you will be alright.
    Having said all that, it is my opinion that those boats are worth about $12K in perfect shape. Face it, the V-8's don't have a great reputation and you WILL end up putting money into it. That makes them less desireable and harder to sell.
    If that boat has some driveline issues, I would offer him $8K - $9K and come up to $10K max.
    Good Luck.

WyldWsl
    Thanks for all of the info guys (and gals if applicable), I'm going to try to keep this guy around $7-8k if I can. Otherwise I'll find something else. I'd just be a little less skeptical if I heard some better things about V-8's. I think I'll get the boat if he doesn't want my first born and my right arm for it, get a prop shaft for it as cheaply as I can, change the gearcase fluid, clean the entire boat up, and then be easy on it until it blows up...then it's new outboard time. I'd end up losing some $$ in the long run, but I want this sweet hull..and with it being cleaned up with new carpet and a new Merc 3.0 on it it should be worth some good $$ then. :idea:

Stoker22
    If it bent the prop shaft you can bet it will also need a set of gears. What year is the engine the 88 on 4.0 were much better than the 85-87 3.6 versions. If it truely makes 400 hp it has had a lot of work and most likely would not run pump gas, it is possible to make that power but they are not an every day use engine at that point.

WyldWsl
    If it bent the prop shaft you can bet it will also need a set of gears. What year is the engine the 88 on 4.0 were much better than the 85-87 3.6 versions. If it truely makes 400 hp it has had a lot of work and most likely would not run pump gas, it is possible to make that power but they are not an every day use engine at that point.
    It's an 1985 3.6Litre. Not really worried about the boat or the motor anymore, I just called the guy and he's firm on his $15,000 price tag......hence, I'll find something else, better and cheaper at the same time........I know for sure that the next one I'm interested will NOT have an Evinrude V8 on the jackplate. Thanks to everyone for their .02 cents!! The search continues, i'll be looking around I'd rather have something that looks fast, sounds fast and is reliable, than something that looks fast, sounds fast, and has me working on it more than enjoying it... :220v:

Tom Brown
    Does this mean you're not interested in my hopped up Chrysler?

Kim Hanson
    The hull needs some buffing and the entire boat needs some TLC, but it's in good shape for the most part. I'm going to use it's dirt to drive down the current owner's extremely high and unreasonable price tag of $15,000 down significantly. What do you guy's think I should offer this guy with the boat/motor combo in it's current condition??
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...natormotor.jpg
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Eliminator.jpg
    Thats wierd, I call mine " WildThing "..........( . )( . ).....looks like a very cool boat...

Kim Hanson
    I figured that it was a gas hog, but what puts out 300hp that isn't? Unless it's a nuclear aircraft carrier, then I plan on being able to pass everything but a gas dock anyway. I'm just worried about the price, $15,000 for this boat with an outboard that needs some work done to it when I can get an immaculate jet boat with the same hull and a big block blower motor for $18,000. If money weren't a problem then I'd buy both, but that isn't happening. If I bought it, I'd probably sell the V8 and replace it with a lighter and more popular 2.5 merc. I think this guy wants too much for it, but I don't know what a boat like that would be worth with an outboard.....this is where you guys give me some ideas about offering him how much $$. I know I can find jet boats all day long (not Eliminator pickle forks) that run good, but need cosmetic work for around $5-$7,000, which is right in my price range.
    I don't ever look at buying boats and consider the price of the gas, if it's got the look that make my dick twitch...next question is how much! I got my Rude ..pushing 300hp...and it is a tunnel for $14,500...turn key and let her rip...!
    That hull ( looks the same as a Liberator ) I love and with a 300 Rude, very sweet! What is wrong with the engine? JetBoats suck also! Don't go to the slow side :cry: ..........( . )( . ).........

Kim Hanson
    That would be a problem, the guy told me that he had it sent out to a guy in Texas that went nuts on it. According to it's current owner; "It has over 400hp will do 120mph with ease.".....I have no idea about the truth of that statement for the record. It does need a new output shaft cause he hit something with the stainless prop, an easy fix according to him. (is it?) But I really don't want to pay that much for a boat that is already broken and I'll immediately have to go on a scavenger hunt to find parts...not my idea of a wise investment. I'd rather spend it on the jet boat I mentioned above, at least I will know something about the car motor in it and jet drive's are one of the most simple things on earth.
    Thats an easy fix, I had a racing gearcase put in with dual feed high speed racing case for like 600 bucks........( . )( . ).......I blew the stock one out with 340 hp............ I blow things up good!

Kim Hanson
    Thanks for all of the info guys (and gals if applicable), I'm going to try to keep this guy around $7-8k if I can. Otherwise I'll find something else. I'd just be a little less skeptical if I heard some better things about V-8's. I think I'll get the boat if he doesn't want my first born and my right arm for it, get a prop shaft for it as cheaply as I can, change the gearcase fluid, clean the entire boat up, and then be easy on it until it blows up...then it's new outboard time. I'd end up losing some $$ in the long run, but I want this sweet hull..and with it being cleaned up with new carpet and a new Merc 3.0 on it it should be worth some good $$ then. :idea:
    I am not a girl The V8's are wild if you take care of them right, they cavate bad ..ease off and mash it once on plane and gone....I mean it, I will never get rid of mine....hell, I just found a stock 300 for under 5 grand that will fill my Rude Apartment....That has the off-shore exhaust like mine, sounds tit's to anyone that has heard one...going over 100mph is very sweet..........hulls like the HST sell for over 12 grand, that is a good price if you can get him down to that price you said!...........( . )( . )........

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast