Thread: need tech info for handle for plate

flatrookie
    I just got a flattie 3 weeks ago and it is hard to find info by some one whos knows what they are doing so my ? is I have a handle a t looking thing by my plate pedal that I was told is to hold the adjustment of the plate but it is stuck or something please need info

Post a pic so we can see what you got. Many variations.

DetroitJim
    I had the same problem, the t handle is attached to a small linkage that pushes forward and engages a tooth on a gear that is on the down pedal. This is what locks the down pedal in place. You will have to take the whole assembly out of the boat, remove two very small screws that hold the two halves together, and just clean and derust the whole thing. The slider fits very snugly in the slot that it moves in, and once water gets into the top of it there is no drain hole and everything gets rusted up. When I put mine back together, I drilled two small drain holes at the bottom of each area that traps water. WARNING: When you take it apart, don't remove the pedals before you mark the two gears for alignment. Otherwise you will end up with the pedals goofed up in relation to each other and be taking all back apart again like me!
    DJ

flatrookie
    Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't know your experience with flatbottoms, hopefully you have an understanding of how a flatbottom works before you go hotdogging in it, or trying to go fast.
    I hope you have taken the time to understand what the pedals/ t-handle do in relation to the plates, and what that does to the attitude of the boat.
    no offense taking that is why I am on here trying to learn so I do not get hurt I know to work the plate to keep the nose down and to modulate the pedal and gas taking off and I was told once on nice water you should be able to be completely off the plate and on the gas to try to get the boat to set ? but I do not know what the actual function of the handle does?

flatrookie
    I had the same problem, the t handle is attached to a small linkage that pushes forward and engages a tooth on a gear that is on the down pedal. This is what locks the down pedal in place. You will have to take the whole assembly out of the boat, remove two very small screws that hold the two halves together, and just clean and derust the whole thing. The slider fits very snugly in the slot that it moves in, and once water gets into the top of it there is no drain hole and everything gets rusted up. When I put mine back together, I drilled two small drain holes at the bottom of each area that traps water. WARNING: When you take it apart, don't remove the pedals before you mark the two gears for alignment. Otherwise you will end up with the pedals goofed up in relation to each other and be taking all back apart again like me!
    DJ so you are saying the handle fuction is to push the plate pedal down with your foot then lock it in place with the handle ?

DetroitJim
    Yep, that's all it does. It's just a little tooth thingy that catches a tooth on the down pedal gear.

Flat Hall'N
    That center handle is to keep your desired plate adjustment locked into place. Then you can override it with the foot pedal to get additional down plate when needed.

flatrookie
    That center handle is to keep your desired plate adjustment locked into place. Then you can override it with the foot pedal to get additional down plate when needed.
    so how do I find the desired plate or ride adjustment?

flatrookie
    Yep, that's all it does. It's just a little tooth thingy that catches a tooth on the down pedal gear.
    so when I get it free the plate will go all the way to the most netural position ? so I just try to find a good ride then set the handle ?