Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: big gear smallprop/small gear big prop

Flat Hall'N
    I am running a 22 gear and a 11 1/4 x 15 prop. I am not sure if this is the right prop for this boat but I have been getting used to it. Do you know what gears you have in your boat? What kind of HP are you going to run with? When is that boat gonna hit the water again? Get your ass out there!! :crossx: :crossx:

olbiezer
    do what i did with my barron sprint........switch from 18 to 15 and a 11 1/8 by 15 prop......run it till u blow it up and sell it to jj beaver........hes got engines laying all over his shop lol :rollside:

lilrick
    thanks everybody.

lilrick
    I am running a 22 gear and a 11 1/4 x 15 prop. I am not sure if this is the right prop for this boat but I have been getting used to it. Do you know what gears you have in your boat? What kind of HP are you going to run with? When is that boat gonna hit the water again? Get your ass out there!! :crossx: :crossx:
    I will not divulge my secrets to ANYONE!!! MUAAHHHH!! MUAHHHHH!! DO not pump Larry for info either!!! I will be back soon!

Flat Hall'N
    I will not divulge my secrets to ANYONE!!! MUAAHHHH!! MUAHHHHH!! DO not pump Larry for info either!!! I will be back soon!
    Good call! I'll be talking with Larry about running the enduro in a little while and I'll be sure to find out what you are up to!!

lilrick
    Good call! I'll be talking with Larry about running the enduro in a little while and I'll be sure to find out what you are up to!!
    drivin' the yellow GN boat or what?

Flat Hall'N
    drivin' the yellow GN boat or what?
    I gotta call him and see. We were talking about running the K boat again but then talked about the GN boat. Whatever it is it will be ready to kick some serious ass. I don't think second place is going to do it for us this year :crossx: :wink:

CircleJerk
    OK I'll bite,
    There is no right answer ( or wrong ) to that question, each driver will like something different. I used to run a 11 1/4 x 17 with a 54 gear in the K boat but I had a team mate that didn't like that much bite. Most fast sprint boat out there running today have found a prop that works well for their boat and will change gears when the course size or condition dictates it. I would bet most teams #1 prop isn't as good as Rankin #2 or even #3 prop. Good being defined as fast and the boat handles well in rough water.
    So if there is a answer it would be find the right prop ( big or small ) and gear to what you want as far as RPM for your motor. I've seen plenty of fast race boats with both big & small props on them. Jullian lilked the smaller props others liked the large ones, but when you find that right prop you'll know it.
    I've seen lots of teams dive for a crashed boat just to get the prop back. Great props are hard to come by, most teams would do well spending more time & money looking at props than for that extra horsepower........
    Wonder who this is?? A real racer? I like small diameter to crank the rrrrs right out of the turn and then let her bite and pull the short straights we run! Our races are won in the turns anyway with three short sprint laps.

motormonkey
    What makes the right prop for a boat. I thought you had to prop and gear for power and handeling. What comes first.

Boatshu
    MotorMonkey,
    If you are testing props and find a good one that makes the boat handle well and is fast you can be off on the gear a little and still know it's a good prop.If you test a prop with a 18 gear and it runs fast and handles great then you test gears to see what works best for your motor / class. Every driver likes something a little different, I've tried props that felt fast but weren't as it just pulled hard and gave you a seat of the pants "feel". Somethings don't lie.....the watch and how well the boat carries in racing water. And yes I've raced a few.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast