Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat damage (not pretty)

Well.........here it is. This is the aftermath of my last trip to the lake this year.
    First off, I'm pretty sure that the throughbolted fuel tank hardware may have caused this delamination. I'd probably suggest not doing this, unless you know you've got lots of material in that area. Mine was only a 1/4" thick where I drilled to mount em.
    Now the question is.........do you think this is repairable?
    I'm gonna give it a shot, but would be interested to hear your opinions. Keep in mind that I said the glass was only 1/4" thick in the section that's missing. About half of that is gone which means there's only about 1/8" of original glass there now. I guess the question weighing on me now, is if that's enough material to get a good bond to and maintain the structural integrity. At least part of what's left will have to be ground away too so I can get a good surface to bond with.
    I'm not in a position to buy another hull right now (if I was, I'd be setting up a deal with Pat aka Budlight for Misfit). My girlfriend starts a 2 year program to be an RN next month, so needless to say with four kids and only one of us working, money's gonna be a little tight for a while. That means I either make do with what I have now, or go without a boat for a year or two.
    Thus, I make the repairs and see how solid it turns out. If it doesn't look like it'll be safe, "Squirtcha?" gets cut up and my wait for another hull begins.
    Lemmee know whatcha'll think.
    Dan
    Oh yeah, the damage
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/19damage.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Holy $hit dan!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt know that it was that bad!!!!!!!!!

Danhercules
    Damn Dan. That sucks.
    Hope there is some good news for ya. I though I was shit out of luck with my crack, but Futs and his old man helped me out and got it better than new.

olbiezer
    dan.... the beauty with fiberglass is about anything can be fixed.......it may look bad but a glass man can fix that to a point u wont even know it was broke........

1975sleekcraft
    take the tank back out-and anything else behind the damage.
    do your structural repair back there--add 1/8 to 1/4 inch fiberglass.
    on the outside-do a cosmedic repair-some fiberglass and filler.
    if you prep it right the repaired side will be stronger than the other.

Nucking futs
    Dan, I have seen worse, you should be able to patch that and make it like new.

SoggyJet
    Dan,
    I hate when stuff like that happens!! That really doesn't look that bad - I have seen much worse made like new again. A guy at my friends marina ran over some rocks and scraped the bottom almost through, the fiberglass guy layed in several layers of mat, roving and glass and it is probably stronger than new.
    It looks like the area you need to repair would not be in the water on your top speed runs, so it could be blended and not hurt the top end. I am sure a glass guy could have it done in no time, but I would bet you are going to do it yourself - and will do an excellant job of it. Really should not be any harder than the blueprint job you did last year. Would be easier if you flipped her over, but I am sure you could manage the repair with her upright. (just more messy for the technician )
    Time and money for the hobbies takes a hit, but I am sure the GF is worth the sacrifice. Good luck. Oh how did that big water ski work for you this year? I did not do much sking this year, did something to my hip over the July 4th weekend.
    Doug McCoy

jamessampica
    Dan that don't look to bad to me.My ? is how does the other side look like?
    Sleekcraft has the right idea but i would look at the other side just to make sure it's not doing the same thing.
    That look's like something hit it pretty dam hard or something was rubbing on it like a rock or a log on the beach.I could be wrong but there look's like there's a really deep scratch on the out board side of the damage.
    I can't believe that the thru bolt's for your tank's made this happen since i've got my tank's done that way.And there's been no problem with mine or any of the thousand's that are done this way for year's.
    I'm still going with my theory that something in the water like a rock or a log while you were running along or while you were sitting on the beach.
    If you need two more hand's let me know.I'll help you.
    Just my .02 cent's
    JIM S

LUVNLIFE
    That def looks fixable. Get it to someone competant and I'm sure you won't have a prob.

Squirtin Thunder
    That def looks fixable. Get it to someone competant and I'm sure you won't have a prob.
    I think Dan is the Man for the job !!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast