Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: towing

v-drive
    I drive a F-150 and when I was towing the little v-drive it was like having nothing back there. now that i have towed the Eliminator I really notice the the tail wagging the dog so to speak. It's not anything drastic it's just more annoying than anything. Is this something that would be solved with bigger shocks or overloads. I am leaving for Az next Friday and don't feel like bouncing all the way to Bartlett and back...Thanks....v-drive

502 JET
    Are you exceeding your tow vehicles capacity? Do you have too much tounge weight? If it squats the truck down alot you could try sliding the boat back on the trailer a few inches to remove some tounge weight then go for a road test and see if it helped. Make sure your tires are properly inflated.

v-drive
    I've already slid the boat back and I don't think I have to much tounge weight. Its only 19 ft long but it is heavier than the little boat. The main difference is that its a tandem axle trailer and that it's a jet. v-drive

centerhill condor
    perhaps you have a trailer problem? the condor is 22' and tandem axle and the only way I know its there is when I hit something with the tires!

Zaairman
    The only time my F-150 has ever gotten "waggy" was when I was towing a tandem axle flatbed car hauler loaded with an 18' white oak tree...about 2000 lbs of tongue weight. Do you have an adjustable ball mount? If so, try adjusting it and see what the results are.

wright27
    When a trailer wags from side to side it is because to much weight is on the back of the trailer.

Zaairman
    When a trailer wags from side to side it is because to much weight is on the back of the trailer.
    I think he meant more of the back of his truck wagging. I know for sure that when I hauled that tree, there was no way that there was more weight on the back of the trailer. Roots were still attached, along with the dirt and rocks.

dmontzsta
    I tow my Dads 21' Eliminator V-Drive to the river, 5 people in the car, luggage for the weekend, full tanks in the boat and truck with the a/c blasting and taking the hills at a solid 65-75mph, straight as an arrow. I have a 98 Expedition with the tow package. So it is the same platform as your F150. I take it you dont have the tow package? It might be time to change your shocks though, they probably have a few miles on them. Maybe a small lift kit would help you?

DMOORE
    Bingo. Guarantee, if if the weight is too far back on the trailer, and not enough tongue weight, it will wag. A 19ft boat on a tandem is nowhere near the tow capacity of an f- 150. Try to move the boat as far forward as possible and be sure the HITCH IS LEVEL WITH THE TRAILER. If the hitch is too high she will wag.
    Darrell.

dmontzsta
    Ben, sounds like you need to pull the pump off the rear and put a V-Drive in between the stringers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast