Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow vehicle and weight of boat

Rocknpalms
    I have a 96 Carrera Eclipse 20.5' jet with dual axle trailer and the wife is looking to sell the current tow vehichle (Chevy Avalanche 4x4) and wants a BMW X5. The X5 has a tow rating of 6000 lbs. I would think our boat is well below this rating but not sure. So can any one tell me aprox. what my boat and trailer weigh? Also has anyone tried to tow with the X5.

I have a 96 Carrera Eclipse 20.5' jet with dual axle trailer and the wife is looking to sell the current tow vehichle (Chevy Avalanche 4x4) and wants a BMW X5. The X5 has a tow rating of 6000 lbs. I would think our boat is well below this rating but not sure. So can any one tell me aprox. what my boat and trailer weigh? Also has anyone tried to tow with the X5.
    u can take the boat & trailer down to the local truck stop & weigh it on there platform scale minus the tow vehicle...most truck stops will let u do this for free
    fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yep, a truck stop or (arround here) a grain elevator. Put the trailer on & weigh it, than weigh the tongue at home on a bathroom scale at the same aprox height as the tow vehicle hitch.
    Even a 21'er though should be welll below 6K though, steel trailer included.
    A friend of mine has a 23' Four-Winns, big boat, I/O, it breaks 6,000 pounds, but even LOOKS 3x the size of my Taylor.

Devilman
    Yep, a truck stop or (arround here) a grain elevator. Put the trailer on & weigh it, than weigh the tongue at home on a bathroom scale at the same aprox height as the tow vehicle hitch.Even a 21'er though should be welll below 6K though, steel trailer included.
    A friend of mine has a 23' Four-Winns, big boat, I/O, it breaks 6,000 pounds, but even LOOKS 3x the size of my Taylor.
    What is the purpose of that? I run a truck scale at a gravel pit & have run my truck across the scales with & without the boat hooked up. Just curious if I'm missing something....

SmokinLowriderSS
    That will tell you the tongue weight. Add that to the axle weight, and you have the entire towed assembly weight. Having the tongue weight tells you how much weight you are going to bear load on the vehicle as well as letting you check to see that it is aprox. 10% of the towed rig weight (for balance purposes), which it needs to be.
    If the tongue weight is low enough, youy can just sit the jack on the scale directly. If it is more than the scale, sit a piece of wood the thickmess of the scale aprox 2' from the scale.
    Lay a 2x4 across the scale to the block.
    Note the weight of the section of 2x4.
    Place the trailer jack midway (centered) on the 2x4 between the scale and the block.
    Double the weight on the scale for the actual tongue weight.
    For heavier boats, you just alter the location (and thus the multiplier) on the 2x4 span piece.

victorfb
    Rocknpalms, as noted allready, the best way is to take it all down and have it wieghed. now remember too that this 6000# rating is with an empty load. you still need to take into account the family, food, drinks, and everything else you will be loading into the tow vehicle. it all adds up real quik. also note that the rating of the tow vehicle may still fall in the limitation, but you are now looking at a short wheelbase tow vehicle. pulling is one thing, stoping, or even more importantly swerving to avoid an accident or ? is another. as a friend id say (IMHO) buy her the X5, (use it if need be for short hauls) and buy yourself a larger tow vehicle for the boat. and for gods sake, do not ask your brother for his advice on this. he and i have had heated discussions about this. ask yourself this, will you feel safe having your wife and kids in the vehicle while towing?

Devilman
    That will tell you the tongue weight. Add that to the axle weight, and you have the entire towed assembly weight. Having the tongue weight tells you how much weight you are going to bear load on the vehicle as well as letting you check to see that it is aprox. 10% of the towed rig weight (for balance purposes), which it needs to be.
    If the tongue weight is low enough, youy can just sit the jack on the scale directly. If it is more than the scale, sit a piece of wood the thickmess of the scale aprox 2' from the scale.
    Lay a 2x4 across the scale to the block.
    Note the weight of the section of 2x4.
    Place the trailer jack midway (centered) on the 2x4 between the scale and the block.
    Double the weight on the scale for the actual tongue weight.
    For heavier boats, you just alter the location (and thus the multiplier) on the 2x4 span piece.
    Ok, I gotcha. Never did that before, but I'm curious now. My truck weighs 4000 lbs. by itself. I ran it across with the boat hooked up & was then weighing 7000 lbs., which would have my boat & trailer as weighin 3000 lbs. By using that method which you described, a good tongue weight would be 300 lbs give or take?

spectras only
    rocknpalms , your boat/trailer combo is around 4000 * . With a 5000* tow limit , the bimmer would do it no prob.
    This baby is towed by a small Ford SUV with a 5000* tow limit .>
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Doug's%20Carrera

SmokinLowriderSS
    Ok, I gotcha. Never did that before, but I'm curious now. My truck weighs 4000 lbs. by itself. I ran it across with the boat hooked up & was then weighing 7000 lbs., which would have my boat & trailer as weighin 3000 lbs. By using that method which you described, a good tongue weight would be 300 lbs give or take?
    Yes, for that rig, aprox 300 pounds should be your tongue weight. Too much less and you risk the trailer not wanting to track properly, too much more and you are carrying the trailer with the hitch assy, not just pulling it. Even the heavy duty hitch ball setups are only designed for a certain max tongue weight, usually 600 pounds (with a 6,000 pound tow rating).
    Your only real easy adjustment is boat positioning or accessory loading in the boat.
    If it tows fine, tracks straight without wandering, and doesn't weigh down the tow vehicle excessively, it's likely fine.

Devilman
    Yes, for that rig, aprox 300 pounds should be your tongue weight. Too much less and you risk the trailer not wanting to track properly, too much more and you are carrying the trailer with the hitch assy, not just pulling it. Even the heavy duty hitch ball setups are only designed for a certain max tongue weight, usually 600 pounds (with a 6,000 pound tow rating).
    Your only real easy adjustment is boat positioning or accessory loading in the boat.
    If it tows fine, tracks straight without wandering, and doesn't weigh down the tow vehicle excessively, it's likely fine.
    Its probably pretty close then, cause it pulls great. No wagging or anything, usually can forget it back there unless I look at the gas gauge. Thanks for the info though, learn somethin new every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast