Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trailers, Aluminum vs. Steel any comments

Dkahnjob
    I have always had straight surge brakes, what is electric over hydraulic?
    Why are they better than surge?
    Thanks,
    David

YeLLowBoaT
    electric over hydrolic is pretty simple. basicly you have a master cylinder on your trailer and a solnoid. a wire goes from the solnoid to ( normally thru a controler) to your barke lights. So you get the benfit of electric brake in that its almost instant braking and the more powerful stoping power of hydrolic.

LuckyStrike
    My New one ...Although not happy with the MFG. Has SS Disc on All three axles. My last one on Front and Back Only...Makes a Diference with the Third..

u4ea32
    The problem with surge brakes is that they don't fully release. This makes the grease get hot, greatly increasing the liklihood of bearing failure. If you've got a light boat, no big deal, surge is simple and fine.
    If you have a heavy boat, or you ever have your bearings fail, electric over hydraulic is the way to go... or at least it seems to be so far.
    For certain, electric over hydraulic trailer brakes go on MUCH MUCH stronger, and they fully release so the brakes and hubs do not get hot.
    I have a brake controller in the cab just like for electric brakes on a travel trailer r horse trailer.
    On the trailer, there is a battery, and an electric pump. When the brakes go on, the brake controller sends an electrical signal to one of the wires in the trailer wring harness, and the brakes go on. Depending on the controller, the brakes go on as hard as you are braking the truck.
    With mine, I can lock up all 10 tires at once: all six on the dually, and all four on the trailer. Really strong braking.
    With some systems, the ABS of the truck also feeds the brakes on the trailer. On European boat trailers, all are electric over hydraulic with ABS. The equipment is available.

Dkahnjob
    I went over to ABTrailers in North Hollywood, CA today and met with Alex. I must say that I was very impressed. They build a very high quality trailer, with lots of nice features. Everything is cusom built to the purchasers specs, the down side is the 6-12 week back log, although Alex said that it actually takes a weel or so to build a trailer.
    Thanks for the tip.
    David

Quality Time
    Sorry to hear about the back log. Did you order one anyway?

Dkahnjob
    Not yet, still putting the whole deal together. But very good information,
    Thanks.

dicudmore
    what are you building Dave?? I've got another new cat to take you for a spin on oh, and its on an aluminum trailer

IDRPSTF
    Try West Coast Trailers in Dana Point CA
    949-254-9360
    Wayne is the guy I bought my 38 Cigarette alum. trailer from. Price was right and he showed up at the ramp to set it up. After two months we made some set up modifications and he made himself available to show at the ramp again and set it up right. I have towed all over and have been very happy. I keep his flies in my desk for all of my clients looking for trailers (That says alot)

Dkahnjob
    Thanks, I will give them a call right now. The proposed new boat is a 35 Fountain Executioner.
    David

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast