Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trailers, Aluminum vs. Steel any comments

Dkahnjob
    I spoke with Wayne at West Coast, it sounds like he really knows his business. One question I had was Torsion Bars vs. Leaf springs, I have heard that some people swear by one and some by the other. I do have a verticle height restriction, so the boat needs to be low on the trailer. Any thoughts/recomendations on what is the best way to go on the trailer suspension.
    Thanks,
    Dave

FASTERDAMITT
    From what I understand, either one will rust or corrode to where it's not funcioning as original. I did not now this when I ordered my trailer but mine has a unique suspension unlike any other I know of. http://www.rollsaxle.com/lifetime_spring.htm Not tramendous amount of travel but it will not rust.

Quality Time
    I have torsion suspension on mine. So far so good. I'm having brake issues at the moment though and I do not recommend Nextrail :yuk:

martan
    Aluminum is simply the ONLY way to go.
    Steel rusts, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
    Galvanized steel does not rust, but has the disadvantage of weight, and looks as ugly as aluminum. They are bolted together too, so they creak and squeek too.
    Right: the bolted together trailers are embarassingly noisy.
    Aluminum is light, lasts seemingly forever. Mine has been dunked in salt water easily 200 times, if not 300, is never rinsed, and looks more or less the same as it did when new.
    Aluminum is stiffer than your boat. Same as steel.
    Get stainless calipers. Probably get stainless disks. I have steel disks because I use my trailer so often, but I'd go with SS if it was ever more than 3 weeks between trips.
    Get electric over hydraulic brakes. Just no other way to go. They saved my life.
    Ye aluminum is definitely a better choice for a trailer. No aluminum is definitely not stiffer than a boat.
    www.bowkersfiberglass.com

Never Too Old
    I spoke with Wayne at West Coast, it sounds like he really knows his business. One question I had was Torsion Bars vs. Leaf springs, I have heard that some people swear by one and some by the other. I do have a verticle height restriction, so the boat needs to be low on the trailer. Any thoughts/recomendations on what is the best way to go on the trailer suspension.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    I have experience with both types of suspension. In fact, my Hallett 270 came on a trailer with leaf springs. After towing it on California's less than smooth freeways and watching the tires leave the ground I had the leaf springs suspension cut off and replaced with torsion axles.
    It made a world of difference. The ride is so much smoother. I never see air between the tires and the road. I was blowing out tires on almost every trip. Now I haven't had any blowouts at all. This summer I towed to Shasta and Naci twice with no problems.
    Fortunately, I have two other boats on trailers trailers with torsion axles, so I had something to compare the leaf spring trailer to. It made the decision easier, already knowing how much better the torsion axles would be.

Dkahnjob
    Well, I made a deal on a boat, it is a 2000 Fountain 35' lightning with twin 500 EFI's. The boat is in Florida and doesn't have a trailer. I will probably order a trailer tomorrow, possibly a Continental Aluminum trialer. Hope to have the boat here within a month.
    Anybody want to buy a really clean Spectra 32'. I have about one boat too many now.
    http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120909

ROBDAWG79
    If you didnt get a trailer yet, check out pacific trailers in Chino.. they are building an all welded aluminum channel frame trailer with all the bells and whistles.. looks alot better then that bolt-together I-beam crap. just my .02

Dkahnjob
    If you didnt get a trailer yet, check out pacific trailers in Chino.. they are building an all welded aluminum channel frame trailer with all the bells and whistles.. looks alot better then that bolt-together I-beam crap. just my .02
    I think I am going to go with an Aluminum Continental trailer with Torsion Bar suspension, built in FL. Their trailers are about $1-2K less than the local trailers and the transportation to the West coast is another$2K+ less. Since this thing is a stretch for me anyway I think those are my best options.

BADBLOWN572
    I too would check out the Pacific line of aluminum trailers. I have seen 3-4 of them and they all look awesome. One nice thing is that they are all welded together. I have never had good luck with trailers that are bolted together. Something always goes wrong. Also one thing that you have to think about is the warranty on the trailers. If you buy something from back east and have a problem, you are screwed. If you boat on the west coast, I would definitely get a trailer built on the west coast.
    When it comes to trailers, cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap!!! If you do the research, I am sure that you will find out that even though you might be paying more for a west coast builder, you are getting a better return on your investment.

Dkahnjob
    I spoke to Robert at Pacific Trailers today, he sent me some pictures, I must admit that they do look much nicer and more professionial. I am going out to meet with him tomorrow and look at his trailers and his shop. I will keep you posted on the decision.
    David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast