Thread: Running a inboard out of the water?

andyollie
    sorry if its the wrong section.
    I have a 1990 Four Winns 205 Sundowner with a 5.0 OMC inboard, im pulling it out of the water for winter and looking to do some maintence. My question is how do i run the engine out of the water? is there a place to run a hose to? or drop the prop into a 45 gal drum of water?
    Thanks in advance
    Andy
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/IMG_2692.jpg

Andy,
    go to your nearset marine dealer and ask for a set of ear muffs for your outdrive. They are a suction piece that goes over your water pick up which is in your lower unit towards the front. Then it has a hose hook up and you are good to go. Talk to Tea Bag on the boards, he has a Volvo Penta out drive with a 4 banger for power.

bordsmnj
    i'll admit it. i have an outdrive. what i do is go to wall-,mart and buy a 6 dollar rubermaid brand 30gal{or bigger} tub. i put the outdrive level,slip the tub undernieth and then rise the highth of the tub to the max with wood blocks.throw a hose in and fill it to the top and start motor. MAKE DAMNED SURE IT'S NOT IN GEAR. you'll have bits of tub and water all over the yard.
    anyway,this lets the motor actually come up to temp a little and lets the waterpump do it's job. when trying this watch that the hose(should be left on a little watch that the water pickups stay submerged)doesn't flop out of the tub.well, in my deal the wet headers dump the waist water right back into the tub. for easy draining turn the water on low at the spigot and onscrew the hose with the other end still in the tub. drop the hose with out lifting it and the water running out of the hose sets up it's own sifon(SP?). wait ten minutes for it to drain and pull your wood blocks. dump the remaining water and your done.
    ...or get the earmuffs.

Red Horse
    My Dad got an 55 gallon drum, had it cut to a certain height and used that. Use the unscrewable bung hole to drain. Set the rim on a nail or something to give the water ability to flow out a little faster.

andyollie
    thanks lads, ur answers guided me here : http://www.caleymarineonline.co.uk/s...ategoryID=4418
    :boxed: