Thread: anyone running v-drive w/ blower and chiller

Big Proppa
    Running a chiller and a blower in a V-drive
    Looking for different water options - I know about running the stainless tubing down the rudder but I need to run two waters in - do I simply just run two tubes on the rudder or are people doing it other ways. Is their enough flow to run the chiller and the motor off of one water in ??? - come on whats the hook up. Pics too if anybody has any.
    Thanks

Sangster
    Bill... SuperDave013 can probally hook you up with that info as well as anybody....And it will be the right/best way.. wink

Big Proppa
    Hopefully he'll reply - I've lost his cell number.
    The motor goes in saturday and I'm trying to get it ready for a test on Sunday.

Big Proppa
    !

T-Bag runs a setup like that!

superdave013
    I had 2 pick ups on the plate. One for the engine andone for the chiller. The chiller pick up went to a small elect. pump that had a by pass (and check valve) around it. I would turn on the pump at the holding rope and when I was making a pass the water would force feed around it as the pump didn't flow that much. I had one -10 going into the chiller and 2 -10's comming out.
    Not saying that's the best way, just the way I did it.
    I think T Bag's using a cool can and has no pick up at all. Sounds like a good way to go too as you don't have the drag of the pick up.

Dog
    My buddy is putting a hydro together this winter and we were talking yesterday about this. How much affect is a chiller going to have in a quarter mile? Does the mechanical water pump have enough volume and pressure to feed the chiller and motor at idle? If not how long does it take to actually cool the core of the chiller and affectivly cool the charge if you are running a short distance?
    My thoughts are ditch the chiller and run more boost.
    Any opinions?

superdave013
    Dog:
    My buddy is putting a hydro together this winter and we were talking yesterday about this. How much affect is a chiller going to have in a quarter mile? Does the mechanical water pump have enough volume and pressure to feed the chiller and motor at idle? If not how long does it take to actually cool the core of the chiller and affectivly cool the charge if you are running a short distance?
    My thoughts are ditch the chiller and run more boost.
    Any opinions? Well they do work and they work better then you think. At first I didn't have a pump and just force fed it. At the holding rope it would heat up from the heat in the engine. Then I put a little pump on it. When you frist turn the pump on the water comes out hot right away. Made the boat leave harder off the line.
    I didn't use the pump that cooled the engine as I didn't move much water through the engine. I wanted as much flow as I could get through the cooler.
    Bottom line is when you compress air it heats up. And when you use a roots style blower it gets even hotter. The cooler the intake charge the more dense it is. More dense means more in the cylinder. Cooler intake charge = better power

T-Bag
    I run a chiller in a 1/4 mile application and it works great!! I use a seperate "closed sys" tank with #12 in and out and an inline miezere water pump from either summit or jegs. it flows 20 gpm and is more than enough.