Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uh-oh!!!

NautiII
    well, I know this it the price you pay for buying used boats. but here is my dilema! I got the motor out, FINALLY, with some hammer persuasion, now I am into the motor, pull of the valve covers. lots of good stuff, well, parts wise anyway. but on the pushrods and rollers rockers, there is surface rust!!!!!!!!!! yikes! recommendations???? can I just clean them up. the cam, crank, piston rods, ets., look all good. and no water in the oil!!!

YeLLowBoaT
    On the rockers. If its just "surface" rush I would say clean them and run it. If its in the barrings of the rockers--you now have 16 nice paper wieghts. You could just clean the push rods, but I really don't think it would be worth the time/effort when you can get a nice new set for around a c note. If you only need a beefed up "OEM" version less then $50.

moneysucker
    With a 455, most likely the surface rust was caused by condensation from sitting for a long period of time without being run. There are some simple tricks for keeping oil in the bottom end on the 455s too and while tou have the push rods out cleaning them, you can slid pipe cleaners in the holes to restrict some of the oil up to the heads. Psycho Squid has some other tricks he used on his olds to make it hold together on nitrous and later blown. Good luck with the winter project. Boating somehow is a year round job.
    Cy

NautiII
    sorry the pics arent the best, but you can get an idea.

NautiII
    another pic

NautiII
    With a 455, most likely the surface rust was caused by condensation from sitting for a long period of time without being run. There are some simple tricks for keeping oil in the bottom end on the 455s too and while tou have the push rods out cleaning them, you can slid pipe cleaners in the holes to restrict some of the oil up to the heads. Psycho Squid has some other tricks he used on his olds to make it hold together on nitrous and later blown. Good luck with the winter project. Boating somehow is a year round job.
    Cy
    thanks for the info. but pipecleaners? wont they rust, and stand a chance of coming apart in your motor? just curious

DelawareDave
    They won't rust because they will be saturated with oil.

moneysucker
    I hate to say it but that is awfully thick for surface rust. Those are not something I would stick back in my motor. Too bad they are roller tip rockers too. I would have been quick to say to replace standard rockers. I went the cheap route once and it cost me in the long run when some lifters that should have been in the trash, though they still looked good came apart in my motor. Safe bet is replace the rusty parts and it looks like there was a lot of water in there at one time or another and you may want to investigate further and at least pull the heads and check the cylinders and the pan to make sure everything is OK. Better now while you are not trying to get on the water than later on the water.

TIMINATOR
    Not to be a gloom purveyor, but if there is rust where you can see it, there is probably rust in the crankcase area too. I would pull the pan and check everything! If the oiling problems of the Olds are fixed, the bandaids aren't needed. We are in the west Phx.Az area and do quite a few Olds boat and car motors. also have some HP parts for them.Bring your stuff by and I'll be happy to advise you, no charge for advice. Be happy to help. TUF-ENUF Marine 623-877-8553 TIMM aka TIMINATOR

moneysucker
    Great advice Timm, I would definately take it. Especially since you and show him how to solve the oiling problems. And you know free advise buys you a customer more often than not. That is what is great about these boards, There are a ton of very knowledgable members who are not afraid to step up and offer advise to the do it yourselfer. Thanks.
    Cy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast