Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two speed prop

84 camaroturbo
    has anyone ever tried one i have a three blade and i am looking for a better one. the boat shop said to put a five blade but i will loose alittle top end or try the two speed prop. but the boat shops up hear dont know much about performance. the boat is a 1986 orion 22 foot if that matters. and i pull alot of skiers and boarders.

TIMINATOR
    Post engine,hull, current speed and rpm info and we can help. TIMINATOR

84 camaroturbo
    it has a v hull at least i think that is what it is called. it is not a open bow it has a little cabin in the front. the motor is a stock 350 the tach never worked but the speedo said it was about 50 or 55. it also is a florida boat so they tell me the gear ratio is a 1.5 i live in northern utah. if i remember right the boat has been in storage for two years. just broke it out for a winter project. i was thinking of putting a msd distributer and box on it and a eldelbrock intake. but the people around hear say it wont help out at all. any help with that to i would be helpfull thanks.

HocusPocus
    its important to get your tach working when you want to get the right prop for your application so i would get that fixed first.

84 camaroturbo
    thanks for the input i woke up to 6inches of snow today so i think it will be awhile before i worry about the tach. it is my winter project the out drive blew so i am trying to buy everything during the winter. i just have never talked to anyone that has ran one of those props. just wondering if worth the money and how it worked out for them. if i could get some feed back about the intake and ignition would help with my stuff i order this winter.
    thanks
    jamie

Desert Rat
    Great book out by Dennis Moore with a bunch of info for small block Chevy marine preformance, Intakes, cams, heads etc.
    Marine Performance by Dennis Moore (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...lance&n=283155)

HP350SC
    thanks for the input i woke up to 6inches of snow today so i think it will be awhile before i worry about the tach. it is my winter project the out drive blew so i am trying to buy everything during the winter. i just have never talked to anyone that has ran one of those props. just wondering if worth the money and how it worked out for them. if i could get some feed back about the intake and ignition would help with my stuff i order this winter.
    thanks
    jamie
    84 ct- My previous boat was a 20' v-hull. I tried many different props, and liked the HI-5 blade best. It is smoother, and much quicker accelerating. It lost about 1mph top end compared to a Laser 3 blade, at least on my hull. Difference may have been greater if not for the smaller diameter of the 5 blade allowing more trim(this was a slow hull). For your skiing and wakeboarding the 5 blade is the way to go. The two speed L&S props are not efficient in "top" gear, and they are problematic.
    Performer air gap is an excellent intake. You could get by with an Edelbrock 600 marine carb. if on a budget, Holley is better though.
    I went with an MSD distributor,coil and 6M-2 box. I did not like the quality of the distributor, it corroded up internally every year. Finally took it apart and coated pieces. A better way to go(and $300 less) is with the Crane HI-6M ignition.http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/Page086...4684c171199520 It uses the stock distributor and has selectable curves, rev limiter, and other functions built in. You do have to drill and reposition the shutter wheel in your distributor which is a minor inconvenience. Your timing should be around 14deg.base, 34 deg. total, and all in by 2500 rpm.
    I know you want to leave heads alone, but you will get a major improvement using vortec heads. You can change the springs and run a late model cam from crane. Just decide on the heads before you buy the intake as they are different.

84 camaroturbo
    The thing is they say my outdrive will only hold 300hp. The motor is already 200 something or so they say. so if i put heads cam rockers and spring it will just blow my out drive up again. That is why i was just going to put small little mods on so i didnt over power the drive. But made it a little more resposive in the low end.
    From what i have read that the five blade will be great for what i plan on doing.
    It has no trim tabs so with the three blade it didnt plane very well pulling some big people up. They tell me that with the five blade it will come right up and out of the water.

HP350SC
    You are right, 300 is about the limit for the Alpha. Especially if you ski all the time. It sounds like you should fix the drive first and get an appropriate prop, you may find the motor is adequate as is.

84 camaroturbo
    That is what i was begining to think i am about to order the new out drive. my old one is 1.5 but the boat shop keeps telling me to go with a 1.65. But i really liked the speed of the 1.5 so it is hard to figure out what to do. i was thinking going with the 1.5 again with the five blade prop.
    The guy at the shop says if i pay for one prop he will let me keep changing them until i find the one i like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast