Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1st Post, Want more speed.. HELP

Chillin The Most
    By the way Ray that is with my buddy doing all the work and me helping and learning!

Chillin The Most
    Originally posted by Snafu:
    Hey Chillin. To increase you marine engine knowledge I highly recomend the Big Block Performance book by Dennis Moore Merc master mechanic. It is $20 WELL SPENT!!! This book will tell you exactly what you have as far cast pistons, cast crank,valve train etc.
    Ray, With cast pistons and crank what do you think is wise HP wise???
    I read the Stern adds an additional 10% of stress to your outdrive and transom.
    I am going to try the Stern Jack this summer on my 232 with 454 Mag. 385 hp. I would like to know what your boat did stock before the S-Jack. Do you have any clearance problems with the swim platform? Have you checked for stress cracks in the transom??
    Check out the Website for the Stern Jack. 77 mph with a 502 could be in your future.
    Thanks Snafu, Where can I by the book????

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Chillin The Most:
    Where can I by the book?
    You could get it here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...909875-4335041).
    http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

Racing Ray
    Ballpark only
    Heads 1400
    Cam 250
    retro-fit lifters 450
    Intake 250
    Carb 250 Marine 750
    Fel Pro Marine head gaskets 65
    Crane rockers 250
    stud girdle 150
    MSD distributor 350 Marine version
    Ignition box 250 MSD 6M-2
    Rev limiter 150 Marine version
    RPM chip set 75 marine
    Eddie Marine valve covers to clear stud girdle 180 (includes 2 cast breathers)
    Imco exhaust 2500
    Total $6570.00
    These are based on memory I did not look up these prices. It should be real close.
    As you said you can hold off on the exhaust. So your looking close to $4000.00

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Racing Ray:
    As you said you can hold off on the exhaust...
    How much for the custom, pharmaceutical-grade stainless "S" pipes?
    http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

Chillin The Most
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin':
    You could get it here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...909875-4335041).
    http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif Thanks alot.. Just ordered it.

Chillin The Most
    Hi Ray,
    Thanks, that is with in my budget. Any special place to start buying all this?
    Like maybe Summit Raceing, Jegs, or look around E-bay? Or somewhere else? I'm in Central Pennsylvania. I really would like to have this done and ready for the water by no later than mid May.
    Regards,
    Mike

Racing Ray
    For the most part I used Jegs they had all the items in stock at that time. I did buy what I could locally but delivery was important to me as it was the end of last season and I wanted some time to do a bit of work and testing.

hulshot
    Chillen I have a set of Gil offshore exhaust that I would sell complete from maniflod to soft pipe to posibly tail pipes, not a scratch on them. If interested lets talk.
    As for the buget minded, I just sold a complete 850hp motor for only 11k with all the good stuff. It seems to me you could possibly have Ray cut the valve seats on your heads to accomodate bigger valves and also cut the spring bosses for biger springs. Again after market racing oval ort heads are for just that racing or higher performance. You are just trying to get some extra power out of your existing package without going broke, aren't you?
    If you do your research and get parts and peices that will work together you shoud easily obtain your goal for speed and power. ie.. any local swap meet, you should be able to pick up a 750 double pumper for 100/150 that probably still works and then even by a rebuild kit or 25 and now you have a good carb for less. You can buy a complete cam kit with springs, keepers, retainers, lifters, custom made from Herbert Cams for 700/750. I know because I now have two sets. (mine were solid roller sets also) You can call a cam grinder and pick his brain and with the weight and prop and engine combo they can help you design or find the right cam for your motor. This takes the guess work out of the mail order will this, or will this one, or maybe that one work better.
    Its not uncommon to see 500/550 hp from a stock casted motor with some bolt ons. The 112 center line might be too much, I dont think you need to retain all that cylinder pressure 110 would probably work better for this motor.
    Good luck, hope you get it started soon, its almost boating season.

Chillin The Most
    Hulshot,
    Thanks for the offer on the exhaust, but like I said in an earlier post with Ray, I think I will wait for exhaust as my last investment, since it will be the most costly.
    As far as budget I don't mind spending 5 grand, and I think it may be a little less than that to get to 500-550 HP range.
    My main objective is to reach at least 75 mph so I do think I will need the Hi-perf. heads, MSD ignition, dual plane intake, and 750 carb. I'd rather spend the few extra bucks and get a new carb. and know what I have.
    Picking the right cam, I can see might be a problem. I've seen three different opinions on this board now. The 108,110,112 centerline. I've also seen & heard all kinds of different lift combinations. I'm sure they all worked for everybody with the other combinations they have used.
    I believe Ray gave a really good combination of what he used, as well as you did with your complete cam kit. Still not quite sure on which way to go on that cam.
    Also I might want to go with the forged pistons since I'm trying to achieve the 500-550 HP range. (maybe not though, not sure)
    BOTTOM LINE IS I WANT TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, that's why I've asked so many questions from guys that have been doing it.
    Besides 75 mph, I do want that set you back in the seat accleration as well.
    Thanks Everyone, (Hope I don't seem like a pain in the ass)
    Mike
    [This message has been edited by Chillin The Most (edited March 21, 2002).]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast