Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Old race boat pic

superdave013
    Originally posted by Riptide01:
    Hey Superdave,
    Yep that would be me. The older brother.
    The one who is going to paint this bad toy superlite is restoring. Aren't big brothers great..
    I don't know about that. My older brother used to kick my ass when I was a kid. I got him back when I nailed his girfriend! lol
    Oh, he's a crappy painter too!

Thunderbutt
    Superlite,I don't think 200 MPH came in 1969 I think they were still in the 180's maybe 190's. I thought Hill broke the 200 mark.

Really enjoying the pictures and the stories.
    Like I've said eariler, where I grew up, six doors down lived Howard Brown for a few years. His shop wasn't to far down Lakewood Blvd. in Paramount. Anyway, when I was working for Howard boats years later after he sold to Willen, he would still come around the shop to collect his check, as he was carring paper on the deal. He would tell some stories if you caught him in a good mood and the one I remember the most was when he started losing his buddies, crashing the shovel nose hydro. Motors were getting more and more powerful and the speeds got greater than the Hydro could handle. I don't recall which death was the last straw, but one day he pushed the molds out in the center of the parking lot, squirted lighter fluid over it and burnt it to the ground. Had to be hell to have so many friends die in his boats.

Riptide01
    Hey Superdave,
    Rick could probably kick my ass now ,so I leave him alone.
    He has seen my paint work ,so he is being nice too. Brotherly love...
    We are both trying to track down some more old pictures. I have a few more from the 1985 World Finals at Phoenix. What are we calling old and/or new?

G.Riggins
    [This message has been edited by G.Riggins (edited December 23, 2001).]

Riptide01
    O.K. For the daily double , Who drove Smoke on the Water?

72 superlite
    From what I have found,Crisis BFH, driven by Gary Gabelich was the first to 200mph. It happened in Perris in '69. It may not have been an official record( not backed up ) I don't know. 200 mph in '69 wasn't that far off, Climax BFH driven by Larry Schwabenland was the APBA-UIM world record holder in June of '68, with a 190.27 mph

72 superlite

superdave013
    Originally posted by Riptide01:
    Hey Superdave,
    Rick could probably kick my ass now ,so I leave him alone.
    He has seen my paint work ,so he is being nice too. Brotherly love...
    We are both trying to track down some more old pictures. I have a few more from the 1985 World Finals at Phoenix. What are we calling old and/or new?
    What are we calling old or new? Well, I moved out west in 1985. Never went to a drag boat race before that. So all this history is cool with me. I don't care, just keep putting them up.
    About brotherly love. You know it must be Brotherly love when you can tell he's smilling from the shape of the back of his head while while he is pulling you on an innertube!

72 superlite
    Frank Dade drove Smoke on the Water, Was ther others also?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast