Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about the sterling true tunnel??

Flying Sterling
    I think it is way overpowered with the merc 225
    Has allot of torque steer (to the left with a torque tab)
    Runs super light and can be WAAYY over trimmed really easy
    http://images6.theimagehosting.com/17 ft 225 049.1ba.th.jpg (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=17 ft 225 049.1ba.jpg)

riverbound
    I dont know anyhting about them, but it looks like the same boat my neighbor at the river has. he has a pretty mean 2.5 on the back and that thing scoots....wont catch me in it though.

HavasuDreamin'
    I know they blow over easy. :frown: About 1996 or so, along the Needles stretch of river, I was laying on the front of my Daytona trying to attach the anchor. I heard a BBC and Merc. going at it and when they popped into eyesight, the O/B was a Sterling with an old Mod-VP Merc. He was trailing the river race and must have trimmed it one too many times. Over he went right in front of me. Luckily he didn't appear hurt, and his boat landed right side up (backwards). The jet boat circled back around and towed him in. I thought that was cool. .....so I immediately turned around and asked a few friends on shore if they were interested in a tunnel boat ride. I didn't get any takers.
    Seriously though, they are a dated non-pickle fork design. They are probably more efficient than a semi-v, but too old and dated to keep up with the modern tunnels. Plus, they blow over easy so there is a safety issue there. Powered mildly, they are probably a fun boat.
    HD

Flying Sterling
    Ok maybe mine is over powered and his is WAAYY over powered. Do you have a pic of his? I would love to talk to him about it. Thanks!

riverbound
    Ok maybe mine is over powered and his is WAAYY over powered. Do you have a pic of his? I would love to talk to him about it. Thanks!
    I dont have any pics....its brown with orange metal flake. and cool Brown vinyl. But it will definitely put a hurtin on most the boats out there.

Flying Sterling
    Any ideas of how to cure the torque steer better? Mine has no power steering and the faster I go the more it torque steers. I saw 60 mph yesterday at about 5000 rpm speedo is a petot type so acuracy is probibly way off. I felt like I was going about 190mph though. I think its most fun when just cruising around 40 and the whole boat is out of the water. Ok all but the last few inches. I really want to learn about these boats more. Any pics or vid or names would be great!! Thanks! Oh and yah I put the vest on and the lanyard!! (first time)

put hydrolic stearing on the boat. That will help the torque stear.

Boatmaster
    I did a pre sale check out on a very nice one with a 225 merc on it last week. Guy only wanted $2500 for it. Boat was in great shape and looked like a fun boat for the money.

Flying Sterling
    Was it the one in my pic??? Double click the pic and it gets larger. He lived in Lodi??? Thanks! I actually got a recipe from your shop possibly from the old owner!

that looks like the one that was in your shop Boatmaster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast