Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: K-boat news!

DAVEY B
    Billy, like I said from the first post, 140+ in a short run, no where near the Kilo that Gordie ran setting the record. I have seen the area, up close and personal, and you my friend were hauling the mail in a very short distance. I think Gordies record is in trouble if APBA goes with the Duff rule change, and Wayne,buddy, you would be surprised at the drivers that will come out of the woodwork IF the rules are changed. Where are they now you may ask, IHBA drag venues are quite different than APBA races where the boats compete on a real circle boat course. No one would expect an immediate full blown class, but if you have a K race within APBA, they will come........Got any shoes in mind for the K50???? That would be just too cool, a full field of NKRA boats setting the standard for the western division. Burley with Ks, what a concept.....Ray
    I don't think Gordies record will be broken especially in an open cockpit boat. Running 140 in a short distance is a hole lot easier than running a k boat flat out for well over a mile and then turning around and doing it again! This means you will have to run over 150 mph for 5/8 mile in each direction. Can you say BIG BALLS :220v: . I love speed more then anybody but i don't think I could run a K wide open for that long?
    Just my opinion. :argue:

uclahater
    Even if APBA approves it I dont think it will change much. There was only 2 to 3 K's showin up when there wasnt a capsule rule :idea:

BILLY.B
    I love speed more then anybody but i don't think I have the BIG BALLS :220v: to run a K wide open for that long?
    Just my opinion. :argue: Like we already didn't know that :rollside:

Moneypitt
    Even if APBA approves it I dont think it will change much. There was only 2 to 3 K's showin up when there wasnt a capsule rule :idea:
    Hater, What year was that? I know the KRA left APBA looking for greener pastures sometime in the early 90s. But I also remember 7 or 8 western Ks at Burley in 91. Only time will tell and getting APBA to change the rule will be an uphill battle. As far as Gordie's record goes, I never said it would be easy, or a sure thing, but records are made to be broken.

dossangers
    I concur with this COMMENTGordy & I go round and round all the time (at each other). And he's a great friend. But by no means do I have the experience that it would take to be a competitive driver in a K-boat. Running fast at the river is a totally different deal then in a race and I know that. That said... going to Burley to be competitive just wouldn't be fisable. Now going to Burley to have fun and run the boat would be a different story. I've been in the sport long enough to know that going into a corner with 6 or 7 different boats at one time is tough. Not to mention worrying about getting my boat SCRATCHED!!!! :rollside: .

Sked
    Sorry to report that Duff's proposal failed miserably in a preliminary IRC polling. (10 to 4 against the proposal) It's not the final vote on the matter, that will come at the national meeting. But after seeing the preliminary results, I'm positive that capsules will remain mandatory for the APBA K boats.
    It would be nice to have an organization capable of promoting circle boat racing unlike the APBA who puts promoting safety equipment ahead of promoting the sport.

CircleJerk
    It wasn't trick photography JeRk. . As far as the mixed up cylinders I run the engine pretty fat. It cleans up on the big end and would probably be quicker if I leaned the engine out. Problem being that my pockets aren't as deep as yours... :rollside:
    OK....I know about FAT! In 1984 we ran our BBC 6.84 at 210 when other BADs Hemis were 6.00s at 250! If we had 2-3 threads of heat we fattened the main and high speed! Does anyone run a high speed lean out at all? We used to have a 9 volt battery that activated a high speed solenoid. When the driver had control in high gear, he would hit the button! This eliminated the diaphram lean out question. Sorry if this is old fashioned sounding but consider the source! We would burn about 3 gallons in a 1/4 if memory serves with 500 cubes.
    Now the race boat is so FAT, I use three gallons in a 3 mile race!! NO BROKEN STUFF FOR ME! Paalease

CircleJerk
    Sorry to report that Duff's proposal failed miserably in a preliminary IRC polling. (10 to 4 against the proposal) It's not the final vote on the matter, that will come at the national meeting. But after seeing the preliminary results, I'm positive that capsules will remain mandatory for the APBA K boats.
    It would be nice to have an organization capable of promoting circle boat racing unlike the APBA who puts promoting safety equipment ahead of promoting the sport.
    ONce agAin, I loOk stuPiD, but i am uSed to it By nOw! Thanks MR. SKEDSTER

gnRacer98
    Please tell me I'm reading this wrong? You think that promotion should have priority over safety? Do you honestly think that death and injury will help promote boat racing and encourage new participants? From my experience the recent tragedies have driven more people from the sport more than anything else I know. Whether capsules are the answer or not remains to be seen, but the hillbilly attitude of "you know the risk" is what is killing this sport.

Moneypitt
    It was good while it lasted, too bad, it would've been great to see um back........MP

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast