Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banks turbo set up questions.

Jay321
    I have two gale banks twin turbo set ups and I am in the process of the first install on my Condor TX-19 and was wondering if anyone had an installation guide? How do the water hoses hook up? Which is best a single or dual plane intake? Does any one know the HP & TQ numbers for these systems? One system has new Ray Jay 301E-10 turbos with an internal bypass that is 5/8" and the others system has the same turbos with 1/2" bypass. The later needs the turbos rebuilt. How much boost can be expected? If new turbos where bought how big could I go with this system and still fit with in the turbo water cooled heat shields and how much power could this updated system make. Does the carb need to be boost referenced? Thanks for info you can give me. I would be happy to pay anyone the cost of copying and mailing of any old install manuals if they are out there.

Jay321
    any thoughts out there from anyone? Is there anyone running a gale banks twin turbo on there jet boat?

79centurion
    I have an old system on my daycruiser. It puts out 5 lbs of boost. It is on a all stocl 460 down to the cast iron intake. I turns a A impeller 4200 rpms.
    Dan

Red Rocket
    I have a system on my deck boat, It's a 532" BBC with rajay 301e"s, large aftercooler, dual 850 carbs, no waste gates just by-pass holes in the ex housing. It makes 15lbs of boost and 1000plus HP and TQ runs on 100 octane fuel and spins AA impellar 6200 to 6300 rpm.

Jay321
    do you know the size of the bypass holes. My system is a single carb setup,though I saw a link to get carb adaptors to convert to a dual carb setup. From reading other posts, I understand that the carbs must be boost referenced. I'm putting the system on a 468" chevy. It has closed chambered rect. port heads on the motor know. I do have a set of brodix heads that I can use. I was going to try it with the Iron heads if the 5/8" bypass holes kept the boost down low enough to run pump gas. I am planning to build a 509 or larger motor in the future. The boat will run low 80's with a bronze B impeller at 5200 RPM. It will run mid 70's with a AA impeller and only 4400 RPM.

Red Rocket
    I have 1/2" by-pass holes, as far as boost ref. I only ref the secondaries on my set up. I would not count on being able to run pump gas with those closed chamber iron heads. There are alot of other factors to keep in mind, cam, static compression, and aftercooler, those systems aren't always very forgiving if the tune up gets away from you.

Jay321
    Red Rocket, Thanks for the info. I agree the closed chambered heads are probably not the way to go, esp. with a set of alum. open chamber brodix on hand. They have been worked by Kevin Self at Durant, OK.
    I bet your Deck boat is flying with the numbers you stated on your 532" and AA imp. wow! How fast will it run?

GREENLEAF13
    I just recently finished a rebuild with banks turbos, 454 +.30, 990 open chamber heads, 8.5-1 forged pistons, engle tcs7 cam, rajay 370-E80 turbos with 1/2'' bypass holes, large banks intercooler. I've only run it twice, makes 12lbs boost at 5500ft elevation, and 10lbs at 7500ft, not sure exactly what it'll turn my impellar, i've seen 6000 rpm but havent stayed in the throttle for more than a few seconds, stainless berk A imp. I'm in the process of trying to tune it correctly, powervalves, referencing, jets etc, I think i am going to pull the turbo's and enlarge the bypass holes, to much boost for pump gas! Either way these systems seem to make pretty good power!

Jay321
    Greenleaf13, Thanks for the info. sounds like you have a great combo. I bet you would get 15lbs. boost if you got down to 3000 ft. Probably to much for pump gas. Do you have O2 sensor to tune by? One of my systems has the 1/2" bypass the other has 5/8" bypass. I wonder how the Ray Jay 370-E80 turbo compares to the 301-E10? I have a compressor map of the 370E turbo. I wish I could find one for the 301E. I don't know if the maps would be the same. Your map is in the HP Books
    Turbochargers. I have a feeling I am going to be better off doing what you did and build my motor for the turbo set-up. I would hate to hurt the motor I have because it is working good for a single carb iron motor.

GREENLEAF13
    Jay 321, I'm not sure of the differences between the turbos, be interesting to know. I was completly green on this turbo stuff until about 7 months ago, I think i'm a believer now! Still not in the clear though until i can get the boost down, i really dont want to HAVE to run race fuel, motorcycles and my snowmobiles ok but not 40 gals at a time in the boat. I'm told 7-8lbs boost as long as timing is correct is safe for pump. I have a good portion of a banks manual with plumbing, fuel, and oiling diagrams i got from a board member here a while back it was really helpful, i'd be glad to pass it on to you, pm or post your fax # and i'll send it over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast