Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Banks turbo set up questions.

Red Rocket
    Red Rocket, Thanks for the info. I agree the closed chambered heads are probably not the way to go, esp. with a set of alum. open chamber brodix on hand. They have been worked by Kevin Self at Durant, OK.
    I bet your Deck boat is flying with the numbers you stated on your 532" and AA imp. wow! How fast will it run?
    It runs low 90's, but I'm most impressed with fuel mileage if you keep it out of boost. I went on trip from lake mohave to Hoover Dam about 100 miles on the amount of fuel the boat holds.

Jay321
    That sounds great Red Rocket. It would be hard for me to stay out of boost!!
    I wonder how a person can tell what stage of Banks system he has. GreenLeaf sent me some cool info. Thank You GreenLeaf. I didn't see anything about boost levels, was more engine specs etc. as it relates to stage level. I wonder how many stages banks made. Both of my systems have the larger intercooler!!
    From reading the info I can see I might as well count on starting fresh vs. just adding the system on the motor I have in my TX-19. My race motor in my cheyenne is 15:1 CR no chance of slapping it onto it. It already makes 990Hp and 787 tq. with tunnel ram and 2-4s. A close friend at Westech Perf. built the race motor for me. It runs high one teens and mid to high 8's. Still this turbo thing has got under my skin. I would love to get my TX going faster and still live on 93 gas. This hid under a motor cover would make a killer sleeper. I wonder if a guy could put wastegates on this system use some TO4's with a boost dial and switch for pump gas to race gas when you had the need for speed. There is a guy on Texoma that did this with a banks system (I think) in a 20ft. Youngblood and it will run in the teens from what I have heard. I don't want to go near as far as unchained did with his awesome set-up. Man that thing is wicked and is nice to look at as well.

Red Rocket
    Are you talking about Steve Brule from westech? I'm good friends with Steve he dynoed the turbo motor for me. I race at NJBA with Steve. What motor did he build for you? He was working on a 555 with AFR heads for someone I believe in Oklahoma back when we ran my turbo motor.

Jay321
    Wow, it sure is a small world. Yes, Steve is the one and yes that was my 555. Man I'm glsd I didn't BS the dyno #s or you could have nailed me on that one. I have talked with Steve about your boat. In fact he said he would ask you some stuff for me. I guess I am getting some of my answers now. I still haven't put the spray on my 555. Can only imagine. I was waiting until I get my new Cheyenne. I am the guy that got the cheyenne molds out of captive! A good friend of mine, Ervin Capps, the old Condor Boats guy, is building them now. He builds an awesome boat. Still got my Papp Cheyenne also, to good of a boat to let go of. I guess I'm boat poor when you consider the the jets and the master craft ski boat. Crap I can't believe my wife hasn't run me off over them. Well Red Rocket its good to meet. Tell Steve hi if you talk to him before me. I am sure I will have more questions as I progress with this turbo motor. Hope ya don't mind! Jay

wahweap
    I am looking for info, set-up, etc. for a 460 with twin Banks and another poster said that you had provided him with some sort of info ? Thanks, Mike.I just recently finished a rebuild with banks turbos, 454 +.30, 990 open chamber heads, 8.5-1 forged pistons, engle tcs7 cam, rajay 370-E80 turbos with 1/2'' bypass holes, large banks intercooler. I've only run it twice, makes 12lbs boost at 5500ft elevation, and 10lbs at 7500ft, not sure exactly what it'll turn my impellar, i've seen 6000 rpm but havent stayed in the throttle for more than a few seconds, stainless berk A imp. I'm in the process of trying to tune it correctly, powervalves, referencing, jets etc, I think i am going to pull the turbo's and enlarge the bypass holes, to much boost for pump gas! Either way these systems seem to make pretty good power!

maustin
    I have a Rajay maintenance and repair manual I can email to anyone intersted.Just send your email address to maustin195@aol.com.

FASTJTBT
    I have a complete 540 ci set up for sale built by Bill Dunsmore low hours big hp

Jay321
    FastJTJB, How much do you want for your system? Do you have any pics you can post of your system. What big numbers are you talking about? Can you give more info on the system? Jay

sstjet
    would you be interseted in selling your 2nd kit?

You might contact Obnoxious001, he used to work at Banks during that era.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast