Thread: Dumb ?

kmcousins
    Does anyone know how to ajust the points on a distributor on a stock 455.I'm drawing a blank. I know that I should change to electronic but don't have the money right now. any help whould be great. THANKS

To do it right, you'll need a dwell meter (geez, I've still got one). Bump the engine around until the point lobe is opening the point set themost and measure. I've always started out around .017-.019". Check a manual for for your dwell spec and adjust the gap as needed. As I remember, more gap, less dwell, less gap, more dwell. This is for a single point setup.

Flat Crazy Racing
    Like he said, .017-.019 to start, (CLEAN, VERY CLEAN, feeler gage), and/or 28-32 degrees of dwell, or perferably 30* dead on.......Then reset timing to desired initial advance. If you have seperate points and condenser, consider going to the "uniset". Accel, as well as others, make them, and "Standard" ignition makes a really nice set in the "blue Streak" product line. If you have the stock unit, (distributor), it's a snap with the motor running to set dwell thru the little door in the cap with an allen wrench and a dwell meter, just be careful where you stick the wrench cause it could "light up" your day....MP

LynnsJet
    I have a couple of them in the closet. I haven't touched mine in years.
    Some day they will be valuable antiques (yea right) LOL
    L J

centerhill condor
    set them closed on the flat part. Did it for years back in the day. Didn't have a dwell meter, don't now.