Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: safe age 4 rides??

707dog
    we have a baby due in the next 30 dayz or so.. i have found a car seat that fits right in the passanger bucket seat and i have made a seat belt to hold it..i know damn hillbilly..lmao..but my big ? is what would be a safe age for an infant/baby to take rides in the boat????

we have a baby due in the next 30 dayz or so.. i have found a car seat that fits right in the passanger bucket seat and i have made a seat belt to hold it..i know damn hillbilly..lmao..but my big ? is what would be a safe age for an infant/baby to take rides in the boat????
    anyage. Just get a life jacket that fits and a way to keep the lil one out of the direct sun.

RiverDave
    Good question.. I was a boating baby, so was my g/f.
    I saw something last summer though that got my undivided attention. My neighbor had his newborn out with them and they had taken all the precautions that any responsible parent would take. Baby life jacket, making sure to keep the child "cool" and hydrated etc.. Out of the blue the baby's eyes rolled back in his head and he passed out. Needless to say they hauled ass home and then to the hospital etc.. Turned out the baby got hot (although we were all under the impression he was fine). To say the whole neighborhood was concerned is an understatement, you could literally cut the tension with a knife.
    I think that when I have kids, I'll probably goto the river as much as I ever do, but I think myself and mama bear will probably be trading off kid duties while the other goes on boat rides, until the kids atleast hit a year or two. Honestly I don't have kids, so I don't have a time frame to reference of how old is old enough. Make sure you keep him/her COOL and HYDRATED!!
    RD

Goad
    I think the last thing you want to do is strap the baby to the boat. Dont bother with the car seat or the seatbelt.

a catered life
    while no two kids are the same and no two will react to stuff in the same matter i think its important that your child be of age to be somewhat aware of whats going on......i have read that some people take thier infants out but for myself i would probably wait until mine could at least walk and understand the whole swimming thing...and please dont strap the kid to the boat..remember shit happens

HCS
    I use to take both my kids in the boat when they were infants.
    I even took my boy boat-in camping when he wasn't even a year old.
    Not a problem with me I was just always extra careful.

riverbound
    My oldest son, had his first river trip @ 2 weeks old (this was in November though so heat wasnt an issue) I would stay away from the car seat seatbelt thing though. Either I ro his mom woudl hold him. when my second came along he also started going to the river at a very young age (couple months old). I also had my first river trip at 2 weeks old.

SoCal_fun
    We took our Son out on a pontoon boat with my Wife holding him the whole time on Big Bear lake. LJ was about 6 mo. or so. It was a great trip. You couldn't even see his face, he was so bundled up.
    It was funny. Love those pictures...
    As was said earlier, we just were extra careful.

707dog
    the boat we have rides really smooth even in chop but our plans where to atleast wait until he around 6-7 months or more to get him on the boat we just wasnt sure what others have done,cause i to was boating as a infant in my grandfathers ol'school glastron!! but ill chit can the idea of car seat and belt in the boat just one of those being bored bright ideas..lmao..

HYPNAUTIC
    We waited until our kids had a little more neck strength and could hold their heads stable and sit up. So at least wait until 6mo or so.
    Little ones are easy in the since that they dont move and sleep alot but can be hard to maintain good fluids. Our twins, are a pain in the ass, at 16mo old they are everywhere. Needless to say jackets on 100% of the time, juice in sippie cups.
    The GREAT thing about bringing your baby to the river/lake are the girls love them. We have a dozen or so pics of girls (we dont know) holding our babies. They can pickup chicks better than the cutest puppy.
    86 the car seat. Hard to get kids out in an emergency and if the seat came unstraped in an accident, they sink.
    Plastic grocery store bags work great for storing dirty diapers while on the water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast