Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stereo system upgrade

quadracr
    Looking to upgrade a little and need a little advice. I've picked out some pieces that I think will work well together. Obviously I am on a budget and just want a nice system, doesn't need to be heard 3 miles away. Let me have it
    JVC KD DV6200
    Polk Audio DB650 8 of these
    Kicker Comp VR104 2 of these
    JBL GTO 75.4 II 3 of these 1 will be bridged for the subs
    And some kind of 10 monitor for the receiver

thmper321
    I really don't know too much about Polk speakers but my opinion would be to use 6x9's as much as possible. They are more efficient than 6.5" speakers. JBL Amps are good but I would use a mono amp for the subs. Kicker VR10.4 subs will yield a 1 ohm load which will work good with a monoblock amp not a 4 channel amp. So two 75.4 amps and a 600W mono amp would do the job better. If you are having the work done by a stereo shop I would recommend having them build a ported or bandpass box. Both of these enclosures work well in open environments such as a boat the bandpass being the best. They are more difficult to build because they have to be done correctly to work best and that is why I would recommend having a professional build the box for you. If you are doing it yourself and building a sealed enclosure then load the woofers under the bow or under the dashboard. This will help with the acoustical loading.

ROZ
    Bandpass for a boat? Only if he likes street bass and plans to run it within narrow fq range...

h2oski2fast
    I really don't know too much about Polk speakers but my opinion would be to use 6x9's as much as possible. They are more efficient than 6.5" speakers. JBL Amps are good but I would use a mono amp for the subs. Kicker VR10.4 subs will yield a 1 ohm load which will work good with a monoblock amp not a 4 channel amp. So two 75.4 amps and a 600W mono amp would do the job better. If you are having the work done by a stereo shop I would recommend having them build a ported or bandpass box. Both of these enclosures work well in open environments such as a boat the bandpass being the best. They are more difficult to build because they have to be done correctly to work best and that is why I would recommend having a professional build the box for you. If you are doing it yourself and building a sealed enclosure then load the woofers under the bow or under the dashboard. This will help with the acoustical loading.
    Maybe you should stop recommending. I agree with ROZ, but what do I know anyway.
    A sealed enclosure will yield the most output over the widest frequency band, including a higher output at lower frequencies. It will also have better control of the speaker, when pushing it to the limits of the amps dampening factor, w/ a much more musical sound.
    If you are going to run a bandpass enclosure make sure you have them put a window in it where you can see the speaker. You can't aesily hear the distortion, so the window will let you watch the speaker when it starts to smoke the voicc coil.

quadracr
    OK guys, I'm thinkin your disagreeing with the whole idea of a bandpass for the boat :crossx: Cool, wasn't going to go that in depth anyway. So any thoughts on what I picked out?

thmper321
    I'm not in total disagreement with anybody. If a bandpass is not done right, all you would do is fry speakers and have a crappy sounding stereo. Quadracer if you live in Southern California talk to The Audio Shoppe in Riverside or Audio Innovations in Glendora. Both of these shops are well versed in boat systems. I have heard boats from both these shop and they both know what they are doing.

quadracr
    I thought my location was there, I'll have to fix that. I'm in Phoenix, AZ

ROZ
    I thought my location was there, I'll have to fix that. I'm in Phoenix, AZ
    There's a good shop near the corner of stapley and elliot... PM magic34 and a good refrence.. I believe he knows the owners....

Cole Sanger
    There's a good shop near the corner of stapley and elliot... PM magic34 and a good refrence.. I believe he knows the owners....
    Stapley turns into Cooper south of the 60 (at Baseline). Trust me, unless it is someone's house, it is not near Cooper and Elliot. I live one block south at Cooper and Warner. The closest shops I know of are at Elliot and Mcqueen or north of the 60 at Gilbert and Southern. I can't recommend either of them. Magic34 knows everyone. Good advise to PM him.

ROZ
    Stapley turns into Cooper south of the 60 (at Baseline). Trust me, unless it is someone's house, it is not near Cooper and Elliot. I live one block south at Cooper and Warner. The closest shops I know of are at Elliot and Mcqueen or north of the 60 at Gilbert and Southern. I can't recommend either of them. Magic34 knows everyone. Good advise to PM him.
    I know there's a shop somewhere around there...lol.. West of that private ski lake... Everytime I drive by, which is not that often ( I'm in San Diego), I see a Hummer or two out there..
    My uncle lives in your general area. In the housing on the southeast corner.. of cooper/elliot..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast