Thread: HIN number when spraying new gel?

JAY4SPEED
    I'm getting ready to start shooting gel on the boat. I have a HIN number on the right rear transom. The numbers for the HIN seem to be embossed (engraved) into the old gel. My question is, what do I do about the HIN numbers embossed in the old gel when spraying new gel on top? I can't really tape it off because gel around the numbers has yellowed a lot. I was just wondering whats the normal thing to do in these cases? The only thing I can think of trying to do is to thin down the gel considerably and try to spray that area lightly. Could I spray over it and have a new HIN plate made? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!
    Jay

wsuwrhr
    On my boat I sprayed a light coat for color and then masked the HIN off to finish the boat.
    Don't know what everyone else does.
    brian

wsuwrhr
    If I had to do it again, I would have sprayed to boat. Before the gel had set, used my number stamps the push into the new gel to renumber it, then spray the Partall over it.
    Brian

YeLLowBoaT
    I would take lots of pictures b4 you do anything, that way you you had proof of the numbers.

'75 Miller
    My hull id is in the same place as you described. When I sprayed my transom I just sprayed right over it.

BrendellaJet
    rattle can it the same color, then tape it off.

DUCKY
    You should take some pics just in case you screw up.
    I usually just make a "pull tab" with 1/4" masking tape and then cover the area with 1" tape and use a razor blade to trim the excess, without cutting off your pull tab. After you spray the gel, pull the tape while it's still wet or you are screwed. You really shouldn't try to spray gel over the numbers themselves as you will most likely fill them in. If you are changing the color of the transom, you can rattle can over the numbers later. If you really screw the pooch and happen to fill the numbers in with gelcoat, then have a stainless plate engraved with the numbers and attach it with stainless rivets. I know Arizona has no problem with that...I don't know about other states.