Thread: Charging system on vdrives?

Lumpy
    Hi Guys,
    I just bought a 69 miller 18 foot flat bottom with a 427 chevy. I noticed there is no alternator. Do vdrives have any type of charging system or do they just run off the battery? Thanks........Lumpy

Infomaniac
    If you run a mag, not much need for an alternator. If not a low mount is the way to go. I have a few brackets if you need one.

BradP
    On my old flat it was under one of the rear facing seats, belt driven at the v-drive.

infotraker
    I have a 68 Schiada flat and a 77 Sanger Ski Hydro. Both have alternators running off a belt. They are not in the way as they are at the back side of the engine on the side. I run the belt off the crank pulley, bolting the bracket (piece of flat steel) to the engine block. I then have a tightening arm from the alternator to the block. The setup is almost exactly like a old car setup.
    [This message has been edited by infotraker (edited June 01, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by infotraker (edited June 02, 2002).]

63stevens
    anytime you start it you are using the battery. you also have a fuel pump. how long do you want to run it on the battery? my alternator is hooked to the v-drive under the seats

rrrr
    Can someone running a v-drive setup post a photo? I would like to see how it's done. Also, where did you get the hardware?

Thunderbutt
    I have a clamp pulley on the drive line, and the alternator is bolted to the stringer. The pulley was made by Finish Line Eng in Van Nuys. Originally posted by rrrr:
    Can someone running a v-drive setup post a photo? I would like to see how it's done. Also, where did you get the hardware?

BradP
    My old flatty used an automotive bracket, and bolted to the stringer. It was a '66 Lavey. Go to a junkyard if you're low budget and see if you can figure a way to mount an existing bracket to the stringer. I think that's the way the oldtimers did it. Or better yet e-mail old rigger I bet he knows.

Costello
    All 3 of my boats have had it mounted off the engine plate and driven by a crank pulley.

spectras only
    My 24 spectra has the original Motorola unit coupled with a dog/rubber cushion to the harmonic balancer.No belts to worry about.