Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Aluminum blocks

I got a little carried away there, anyways please keep us posted on that sandcar engine, very interesting!!!

67weimann
    Yeah, I want to know what the results are...Keep us posted...

Regarding your question about blowby, I didn't ask were the blowby was as I assumed there was only one form of blowby. My understanding is that blowby is caused by high cylinder pressure causing leaking past the rings. This puts pressure in the block and causes excess air and oil to come out the breathers. Maybe someone else can do a better job explaining it than me. If there are other forms of blowby, I'd be interested to know what they are??
    Regarding the aluminum block, I believe it is also a Dart block. I think the bore is 4.300". My friend says they think the sleeves are to thin to give the proper support in the aluminum block. The cast iron block he's getting is a Dart and it's suppose to have much thicker sleeves.

Just wanted to mention that the aluminum block was used and supplied by my friend to Norm. I don't want people to think Norm screwed up, he is the best, and a good guy!

wsuwrhr
    So, a few months later, just curious of the results.
    Brian
    I hate to start this thread up again, after it had pretty much run its course...but I have an oportunity to get what could be interesting information. A good friend of mine had Norm Grimes build him an all aluminum, blown-injected gas, small block chevy for his sand car. When Norm dynoed it it had exsessive blowby, which Norm attributed to the aluminum block flexing. My buddy is now buying a cast steel block from Dart and they are going to transfer all of the components from the aluminum block to the steel block, then they will dyno it again. This should give a good comparison between the aluminum and steel blocks. What do you think, interested in the results? Unfortunately, it will probably be a month, or more before we hear anything.

67weimann
    So, a few months later, just curious of the results.
    Tell us already...I can't stand the wait...

The iron block ordered from dart was given the full lightening treatment. When it arrived they noticed that part of the block above the flywheel was removed. Because of the type of transmission being used they have to use a top mount starter, and couldn't use the block as modified. A new block is in route to Grimes now. Norm says he will put it together as soon as it arrives. So, we're still waiting..... I'll post the results as soon as I hear.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112