Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum blocks

NUTHIN
    you can buy my motor if ya want.. everything is for sale..

QuickJet
    Here yah go Barrett, let me structure your post a bit better :rollside: So what is the pros vs cons on going all aluminum in a jet boat?
    you can buy my motor if ya want.. everything is for sale..
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ge0026-med.jpg

NUTHIN
    you should put that motor in that sanger hull.... :idea:
    it would make it purdy damn fast..
    huh -500 hp in that flat. hell it hasnt ever seen that much.. :yuk:
    my motor mite have 600hp tho..

QuickJet
    you should put that motor in that sanger hull.... :idea:
    it would make it purdy damn fast..
    huh -500 hp in that flat. hell it hasnt ever seen that much.. :yuk:
    my motor mite have 600hp tho..
    You are seriously "jacking" this guys thread! Don't we have one of our own in the "just girls" section.

NUTHIN
    pro.
    lightweight, minimal machine work, looks good. repairable..
    life of it..
    con.
    COST. put a blower on it and you add back 1/2 the weight u saved. and COST. and everyone wants to know if its really a lumi block or paint!!!!!!!!
    and COST

Ryan00TJ
    Would a closed cooling system be necessary in a freshwater enviroment? I've been running my aluminum AFR's since 92 and just this winter do they need some work done to them inside the water passages. They've seen mostly freshwater but a few ocean runs. If I could get 10 years out of an aluminum block I would be pleased.
    I've been toying with the idea of a 402ci alluminum LS1 in my boat in the future. I have a few friends with them that have layed down 525rwhp with a good cam and AFR heads in street applications. That's well over 550 flywheel. In my light 2600lbs boat it should scream. The only downside is COST as was mentioned before.

67weimann
    You are seriously "jacking" this guys thread! Don't we have one of our own in the "just girls" section.
    Yeah get back to the "just girls" thread damn it...lol :crossx:
    Anyways, yes cost is an issue but after looking Around they are only marginally more than a "quality" iron block.
    Back to the corrosion issue, how long would it last in a freshwater environment with regular use? Would you want to blow out all the water in the block after you put her up in the garage?
    And as stated, power loss is an issue in street use considering you run it hot but in a boat it doesn't run hot. Or shouldn't anyway...so other than the obvious cost, would there be any drawback to an aluminum block?

Unchained
    I've done 7 seasons on my Arias Century block.
    I inspect it every year and I have'nt noticed any excess corrosion.
    With the water drained out It's dry for 6 or 7 months of the year anyways here in Mi.
    I've heard the statement about the aluminum block making less power than an iron block before. Maybe so but,
    Aluminum makes engines, cast iron makes anchors.
    The weight savings of the aluminum block more than offsets the weight of the two turbo's at 50# each. :rollside:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...eatshields.jpg

wsuwrhr
    You are right about the cost of iron versus alloy.
    The final decision was made when I figured cost to finish machine an everyday
    440 core block.
    Limited boring after the fact, thinner bore walls at the bigger bore sizes too.
    Brian
    Anyways, yes cost is an issue but after looking Around they are only marginally more than a "quality" iron block.
    Back to the corrosion issue, how long would it last in a freshwater environment with regular use? Would you want to blow out all the water in the block after you put her up in the garage?
    And as stated, power loss is an issue in street use considering you run it hot but in a boat it doesn't run hot. Or shouldn't anyway...so other than the obvious cost, would there be any drawback to an aluminum block?

67weimann
    You are right about the cost of iron versus alloy.
    The final decision was made when I figured cost to finish machine an everyday
    440 core block.
    Limited boring after the fact, thinner bore walls at the bigger bore sizes too.
    Brian
    So do you run an alloy block?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast